Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    I got to ask, do those motors stay on you fireplace all the time? My wife would have none of that lol.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by red baron View Post
    I got to ask, do those motors stay on you fireplace all the time? My wife would have none of that lol.
    Ah, Grasshopper....this is not the only fireplace but the one in my man cave. I got told no more bike builds on the dining room table but no complaints about what I do in my space!

To all: I had posts on progress but my membership has not reverted to Supporting Member yet (used to be automatic for me).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    ahh that makes sense, my next question was going to be how you talked the wife into that kind of interior decorating.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by red baron View Post
    ahh that makes sense, my next question was going to be how you talked the wife into that kind of interior decorating.
    Keeps me out of trouble and I like staring at them!
    Wilderness~Copperhead~Trail Bike

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Front Suspension--Plan B

Those of you with Gilsons know the biggest complaint is vibration in the front forks. The reason for this is the fork lower tube which fits into the fork upper (handlebar) is 0.790." The 1" upper tube is thick wall and is 0.835." Most people attempt to fix this by packing grease in the tube. Because I made the fork lower and couldn't find 0.790" tube (it is available from race car shops), I went with 0.625" thick wall tubing, sleeved the fork lower with 5/8" ID black pipe and welded it all together.

My idea was to use Delrin tubing to close the two diameters up, so I ordered 0.750 OD/0.625 ID tubing, thinking that a 1/16" gap (1/8" total) would work just fine. Nope. Gave me too much deflection in the fork lowers which would have destroyed a pristine fender in a heartbeat.

So on to Plan B. This time I ordered 0.875 OD/).625 ID Delrin. So what I've done is the reverse of the Arctic Cat upper fork tube nylon sleeve--the sleeve is on the lower tube. To make this work, I had to have the tubes machined and the best way to make sure the machined tubes fit, was to provide the machinist with a small section of 1" tube. You honestly don't want to know what it cost to have this machining work done .

The Delrin is a compression fit on the fork lower tubes and slides easily in the upper with no deflection. They are installed with grease just to make sure everything moves freely. I also had to make a slight adjustment to the springs to make sure the front axle was level because there is now zero wiggle room.

Here's the first iteration:

The machined new sleeve:

This photo shows the fit at 0.82" and where the original diameter was turned down.

Problem solved and should address the fork vibration issues completely.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Using the Bandsaw for what is was intended--Patterns

So....my welder is swamped and can't get to cutting and welding up the clutch and chain guards, so I need to take the bull by the teeth. I ordered 1/8" 12x24 aluminum rectangles which will be here in the next day or so. I wanted to have accurate patterns so I could bend the requisite curves and edges properly, so I glued up two finger jointed boards to make a 1 3/8" thick pattern. These boards were cheap and not warped at all.

I printed out a set of drawings and traced the shape on the board and then cut with the band saw-
    Then I sanded to clean up the edges-

The frustum was a whole 'nother story. I made a circle cutting jig for the bandsaw and then had to tilt the bandsaw table to an insane angle, cut an angled edge, mount the circle block and slowly.....slowly rotate the block until I got the frustum cut. Sharp eyes will see I didn't get a perfect circle, but I made a filler piece that I'll epoxy on. The frustum also had to be cut down to just under an inch tall--I'll remeasure everything and draw a new template for it.

The chain guard was a much easier cut. I'm also using this as a jig to cut the opening for the jackshaft, hence the shallow cut.

These patterns can be used to support the aluminum when all the pieces are tacked together. Making progress...

7. Thanks chipper thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Most awesome. Glad your back to the supporting member club.
    "CLONANZA CLAN"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Again, nice work. 3003 or 5052 sheet?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by manchester1 View Post
    Most awesome. Glad your back to the supporting member club.
    Thanks, took a bit of effort but Drew came through. Something burped when I was paying my dues... Lost all my pms in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by SAT View Post
    Again, nice work. 3003 or 5052 sheet?
    Thanks, I believe it's 5052. I have not looked up it's properties.