Register

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
Results 121 to 129 of 129
  1. #121
    Aston jag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Snohomish, WA
    Posts
    200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by KMC3420 View Post
    Nice fab work on the mounting bracket. I am sure you will figure the pin connectors out, but non responsive suppliers test a persons patients for sure!!!! I hate the "I already have your money, now piss off" attitude. I understand companies are busy and what not, but so many vendors do an excellent job in responding, so its not impossible as we know to simply respond.
    Thanks for your comment! Were you able to find suitable brake components?

  2. #122
    Senior Member KMC3420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    658
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aston jag View Post
    Thanks for your comment! Were you able to find suitable brake components?
    Yes, I have saved the link you posted. I want to give this a go on my next build. Looks like it will be more than suitable, thanks.

  3. #123
    Aston jag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Snohomish, WA
    Posts
    200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    0
    Brackets ready for clean up prior to welding. The bench has taken 30 years of abuse, and I guess it looks it! It started out as a solid core oak door.

    brackets.JPG

  4. #124
    jdogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Just South of Fresno Ca.
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    0
    Looks like a jig saw puzzle Gary!! I'm looking forward to seeing them oriented on the bike!!

  5. #125
    cfrewilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    nc
    Posts
    83
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    0
    Hey AJ,
    I was just going over your post and sorry I didn't keep up with your progress I whish I would have chimed in, with the wax you are using it needs to be at least five or more coats and if I read correctly you are using polyester gelcoat with epoxy resin in your lay up, you need to use the PVA and you need to apply if as fine a mist as possible, with at least three or more coats or until you see a greenish tint on your mold. PVA it is water soluble. With that said when you lay up the next part leave extra amounts of wet out glass at each end of your part, when you go to remove the part from the mold use a couple of wooden wedges to start the separation and then submerge the whole part and mold in the waterand it will dissolve the PVA and release the part without damage to the part or mold. I will pm you some info.
    C

  6. #126
    Aston jag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Snohomish, WA
    Posts
    200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrewilly View Post
    Hey AJ,
    I was just going over your post and sorry I didn't keep up with your progress I whish I would have chimed in, with the wax you are using it needs to be at least five or more coats and if I read correctly you are using polyester gelcoat with epoxy resin in your lay up, you need to use the PVA and you need to apply if as fine a mist as possible, with at least three or more coats or until you see a greenish tint on your mold. PVA it is water soluble. With that said when you lay up the next part leave extra amounts of wet out glass at each end of your part, when you go to remove the part from the mold use a couple of wooden wedges to start the separation and then submerge the whole part and mold in the waterand it will dissolve the PVA and release the part without damage to the part or mold. I will pm you some info.
    C
    Tim, thanks for sending me the PM regarding help with fiberglass, I will give you a call. Having a big flange on the mold, I had plenty of opportunity to pry open the mold without damaging the part from that. So far, I have always used at least 6 coats of wax. My problems seem to stem from the improper use of PVA. The first problem occurred when I forgot to use it! The other problem was when I used a very thin coat of PVA. The PVA sprayer I bought from tap Plastics shot out globs of PVA, so I tried some household sprayers I had on hand with no success there either. So, I brushed on a thick coat of PVA and it did not level very well, therefore it would have probably caused the part to have the brush lines on it. I washed that PVA off. Then I purposely applied a very thin coat of PVA with a brush in order to avoid the brush lines. The thin PVA no doubt caused my problem, as when I had used a thick coat of PVA there was no problem. I like your suggestion of soaking the mold/part in water! Next time I use fiberglass, I'm going to test whatever I do on a very small scale.

  7. #127
    Aston jag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Snohomish, WA
    Posts
    200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jdogg View Post
    Looks like a jig saw puzzle Gary!! I'm looking forward to seeing them oriented on the bike!!
    I think I am almost done making brackets and want to investigate the various ways that cables are retained and maybe weld a few brackets for those, too. I'm looking forward to the next pictures of your build!

  8. #128
    jdogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Just South of Fresno Ca.
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Aston jag View Post
    I think I am almost done making brackets and want to investigate the various ways that cables are retained and maybe weld a few brackets for those, too. I'm looking forward to the next pictures of your build!
    I welded on some small pieces of cut tubing on one bike and ran the cables through...worked pretty good!! Also can weld on tabs with a hole drilled in it to fit a rubber grommet of appropriate size for your cable. Or drill into the frame and run some string at one end and shop vac at other...pull string through and tie onto cable and pull your cable through. And thanks Gary...I too look forward to posting more picts as that would mean that I actually got some more work done!!

  9. #129
    Aston jag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Snohomish, WA
    Posts
    200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jdogg View Post
    I welded on some small pieces of cut tubing on one bike and ran the cables through...worked pretty good!! Also can weld on tabs with a hole drilled in it to fit a rubber grommet of appropriate size for your cable. Or drill into the frame and run some string at one end and shop vac at other...pull string through and tie onto cable and pull your cable through. And thanks Gary...I too look forward to posting more picts as that would mean that I actually got some more work done!!
    Thanks for the tips on cable guides. I went with the tubing.

 

 
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •