Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Raskin View Post
    The 'ol double pull ploy.. ..awesum.nice work..
    Thanks for you comment, Raskin!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by FOMOGO View Post
    Well they say a picture is worth a thousand words..... But that picture isn't worth 10 cents with out a thousand words to explain what you did and how to make another one..... Now get busy young man and start that essay!
    I'm afraid there isn't too much to say. I started with two pieces of brass rod, 3/8 and 1/2 inch. Turned them on my little old Central Machinery lathe, one female and one male, each with 3/8-24 threads on one end and bored for cable insertion on the other end. The only other piece is a jam nut. The hard part for me was cutting the male threads straight enough for such a long length of threads. I first made a male thread component out of aluminum and the threads were really crooked and ugly! So, I went for brass and had better success, still not perfect, though. I don't know if the material change made a difference, but I do know I love working free machining brass. It cuts like butter!

3. Thanks FOMOGO thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Aston jag View Post
    I'm afraid there isn't too much to say. I started with two pieces of brass rod, 3/8 and 1/2 inch. Turned them on my little old Central Machinery lathe, one female and one male, each with 3/8-24 threads on one end and bored for cable insertion on the other end. The only other piece is a jam nut. The hard part for me was cutting the male threads straight enough for such a long length of threads. I first made a male thread component out of aluminum and the threads were really crooked and ugly! So, I went for brass and had better success, still not perfect, though. I don't know if the material change made a difference, but I do know I love working free machining brass. It cuts like butter!
    There ya go. Pretty simple when you explain it. I like it. Get a brass nut in 1/4 or 5/16 thread and bore & tap it for the 3/8 thread. Make a nice neat compact piece that way.

I like it and I just might have to make me one.

The aluminum may have been twisting as you threaded it. Thus the crooked ugly mess.

Doug

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Woo hoo! Started the engine after only one hang-up. My wire from the battery to ground was way too puny and fried when cranking the starter. So, I made up a 10 gage replacement wire and the engine started right up first time. It is time to prep the frame and other parts for paint. Soon I'm going to have Karen make me one of her beautiful seats, something I've been looking forward to for quite awhile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Great build!
    http://www.facebook.com/NorthwestTrackShots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides