Register

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 39 of 39
  1. #31
    Richard Trotter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Spanish Fork,Utah
    Posts
    2,100
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    0
    The earliest parts drawing I can find is for the model B. I took this excerpt from those drawings. This was the early engine kill strap.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #32
    Richard Trotter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Spanish Fork,Utah
    Posts
    2,100
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    0
    The 'B' in the serial number probably meant a later production model. Tote Gote serial and model number are a very cloudy subject. There were no clear records kept. Ralph even hates to talk about the subject. What we now call the model A, was just known as a Tote Gote ( no model name). It just came before the model B. The model VS was the first recorded model number. The model B came later and was distinguished by the frame hoop to protect the Salsbury clutch. These pictures also show the later kill strap that extended out for easier access. You lifted the strap to kill the motor. The later kill strap attached to motor head bolt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Richard Trotter; 02-08-2017 at 08:01 AM.

  3. #33
    Member jforb427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    0
    It's kind of crazy that folks are still playing with these things almost 60 years later...and so concerned about the little details! :)

    Thanks again for the info. I'll see if I can add some of this stuff to my web page selectric.org

  4. #34
    Member jforb427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    0
    Oh...one other interesting thing. Looks like the B got a mud shield for the carb. My VS has one, it might be original? or added on? It looks like the mounting screw hole is original, since it's punched in, like the others for the screen retainers, etc.

    mud shield1.jpg

  5. #35
    Member jforb427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    0
    I was thinking about the kill switch, and the doorbell button that was hanging by a wire from my engine. Where was it mounted? then I figured it out, must have been under the seat. So I looked at the seat plywood, sure enough, there are two screw holes that line up exactly, near the front. Neat place for it. I think I'll put it back there. This is one modification that I like.

    dorbell.jpg

  6. #36
    Member jforb427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    0
    Made a new seat today, my wife sewed up the cover. I took the front brake apart, and cleaned out the excess grease that someone pumped into it. Got lucky, the shoes were not gummed up. The carb kit came in the mail, so I got that back together, and running...but it was dark out by the time I was able to get it done, so I didn't get much opportunity to get it tuned and test driven.

    Been thinking about the painting thing. I'm thinking about powder coat, I'll probably get an estimate, and it will be too much, so I'll end up sandblasting the frame etc myself, and painting it with automotive paint, or something.

    brake01.jpg

    brake00.jpg

    seat01.jpg

  7. #37
    Richard Trotter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Spanish Fork,Utah
    Posts
    2,100
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    0

    Painting

    Tote Gote used a 'flow' process to paint their machines. Using hoses, the paint was liberally applied and allowed to flow off, back into the vat. They were rotated to prevent runs. Then put onto the rack to dry.
    I like how you've done your seat. You're doing a good job of keeping it original.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #38
    Member jforb427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    0
    Thanks! the picture is very helpful. I had read about the flow process, and was thinking about how I might do something similar. The main problem with painting something like that, is getting the paint everywhere, especially underneath. I was thinking about making a rotisserie, mainly to make it easier to get everything painted. Might also help reduce runs, if I keep turning it after painting (it would probably need to be motorized). Way too much effort, I know! but I thought it was neat that the nuts and bolts holding the jackshaft bearings have paint in the threads. Can't really powder coat it, and have the bearings installed.

    Might be a little while til I get around to the cosmetics, though. My shop is full of Airstream trailer right now, which I need to get working on again, and get outside.

  9. #39
    Member jforb427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    0
    Tried to start the bike the other day, pull cord stopped retracting...oh well, I guess I get to fix something else.

    I also got mostly done with my Airstream trailer, and got the first robotics competition out of the way, so I might have some time in the near future to figure it out,

 

 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •