Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Thank you for your feedback on the new clutch. It does have the cool appeal and like you said, for drag racing and karting it has some advantages. Please keep us posted.

Thanks again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Gilson/Wards build

Another quit test ride yesterday and I'm starting to think the clutch isn't for me. It's difficult to go slow with it. It's either hauling ass, or nothing. That's fun, don't get me wrong, but I actually use my mini bike as transportation around the pits each year at the helicopter event I attend. So many people and expensive obstacles around, I can't really go that fast. Plus, carrying my BBQ pulled pork loaded nachos back to our tent without dropping them would be difficult. ;-)

I'm gonna practice with it some more today, and I might even try gearing the bike differently before I take the clutch off. It stands to reason that a lower gear ratio would make it easier to launch without stalling, and I could go a little slower. That might make enough of a difference to do the trick. Of course it'll mean a lower top speed, which already doesn't seem very fast. It's weird, top speed isn't that fast, but you can't really go slow either. When you want to make a gentle start, you'll stall it. You have to give plenty of throttle and lean forward and carefully slip the clutch. It launches like a rocket. Try to slow to a walking pace and it's starts chugging and wanting to stall. Almost like you're on a motorcycle trying to maneuver around a parking lot in 3rd gear. (I'm no stranger to running manual transmissions with clutch levers or pedals. Been on manual quads, dirt bikes, motorcycles, and manual transmission cars for a couple decades).

It's definitely gonna be better for drag racing and karting than general putting around on a mini bike. If I don't get it working the way I want on this bike, I'll probably keep it for a future kart build :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by corrosionate; 07-15-2017 at 11:31 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides
    I've missed this.
    Nice build you have going on.
    If that clutch doesn't work out you can,always gear the jackshaft yo your liking.
    Keep plugging.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Ok, so I'm pretty sure I'm gonna try a centrifugal clutch, since it's an easy swap, but probably end up with a torque converter in the end. Im generally impressed with this manual clutch, but it's not a good fit for the intended purpose for this bike.

I'm also finding the steering to be a bit sketchy. Like it's unstable, and the wheel wants to turn really hard to one side or another, had some close calls where I was afraid it was gonna flop over on me and I was gonna go over the handlebars. whereas my doodle bug, I can let go of the bars and it'll coast straight down the road. Wonder if that's a geometry thing... anyone else with a gilson notice that?

The vibration is pretty bad too, enough to make my vision blurry no matter my speed, even on the smooth road. Could be wheel/tire related, or maybe the off-center rear sprocket, I don't know. I'll check into that too. I don't have that issue on my other bike, with the same engine.

Gonna need some more work till I'm happy with it, but I'll keep going with it till it gets there. I like the rear suspension and the look of the bike.

5. Thanks buckeye thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Unless that clutch comes to you as free, I would not bother. Earlier in the thread you mentioned cost comparison of that 3D and a TAV. I couldn't really understand what you were pricing as a torque converter can be had for less than $100 (on the low end). Assuming you will spend another $50-70 for a proper CC, that would put your total spend up & over the cost of a name-branded torque converter.

I'm approaching this from a "Gilson" angle. The mini is heavy, you're not a kid. There is a profound difference between the two drives on a bike like this. I've done the comparison on an even heavier modified Gilson and a torque converter will deliver (at least) the same pull-away performance in addition to providing extra top-end speed.

Don't get me wrong, there are certainly a number of happy single-speed Gilson owners but you have an opportunity to build-in anything you wish. This is why I made a decision to own both original and custom versions of this marque. I go back the custom when I feel too "confined" with the OE minis...
    Last edited by control4userguy; 07-16-2017 at 01:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Gilson/Wards build

Good points. I appreciate the honest input.

I'm kinda thinking along those lines too, and I agree I'll probably only be happy with the torque converter. However Im pretty sure I have a new clutch for #42 chain in the garage that I was going to use on a smaller engine bike for my 13 year old but ended up not using, cus that plan went in a totally different direction. Just gotta dig it out.

I'm not holding on to high hopes that the centrifugal clutch is gonna satisfy my needs, but it's a 10 minute swap, so I can at least say I tried it. Not exactly free, but almost.

Oh, and I see OMB sells a different make of torque converter, a clone of the TAV, for a good price. I might try that one. My doodle bug has a TAV2, and I paid $200 for it. I guess I'd have to say that it's been worth it though.

Oh well, you don't know if there's a better option unless you try new things. The manual clutch was a satisfying experiment, but I'll be looking for another use for it... something with 4 wheels probably :-). I've never ran a mini bike with a centrifugal, so there's some curiosity there too.

Last edited by corrosionate; 07-16-2017 at 09:24 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    The torque converter is WELL worth the $70.
    Here is the OMB kit

Danford1

https://www.ombwarehouse.com/mini-bi...ue-converters/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Here is another. Comes with the 35 and 41 sprocket + free shipping.

GO KART TORQUE CONVERTER KIT CLUTCH 3/4" COMET TAV2 30-75 218353A 12T #35 10T 41 | eBay

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
    Here is another. Comes with the 35 and 41 sprocket + free shipping.

GO KART TORQUE CONVERTER KIT CLUTCH 3/4" COMET TAV2 30-75 218353A 12T #35 10T 41 | eBay
    Wow. $10 cheaper and Free shipping. Great deal !
    Does OMB Warehouse price match?

Danford1

Edit: Notice/Warning. The bolts that come with those kits are metric thread. The engine mounting holes are SAE. You'll need to buy (4) 1" long 5/16-24 bolts and another longer bolt to hold the clutch on the crankshaft. The cranks are either 5/16-24 or 3/8-24. You will have to determine what size thread is in your crank before you buy that bolt.
    Last edited by danford1; 07-17-2017 at 11:24 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123