Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Early Bug Flea

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    You mean you are actually going to ride it?
    Yeah, you have a point there. I didn't think about that minor detail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Get your chain as close to adjusted by links and offset links then put washers under the motor to fine adjust. This is how you adjust the chain tension on a Skat Kitty jackshaft sprocket to the rear wheel.

O.J.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Havasu Dave View Post
    That article was written by the wife of the owner of Bug Engineering, (K&P Engineering) and if anyone does some sleuthing, can see some discrepancies in the verbiage. Go Kart MFG built their own track on their own property, so it stands to reason they would not allow competitive businesses on their track.

As far as the hoops on the early flea, it does make sense they'd used them for a prototype or two. It does not make sense they'd use kart parts for follow on production, since a kart took one of those hoops to build, and a flea bike took three.

Lastly, the comment she makes about Go Kart beating Bug to market with the karts by a week is hugely misleading. Duffy Livingstone, Art Engles and a few others were building and selling karts out of Livingstone's muffler shop way before Bug was a company. However when the Go Kart name was registered as a trademark, and sold under that name, I could concede Faye's point- which is really moot.

This video of Duffy Livingstone might shed some light:

He invented the dart kart but put his money into the Betamax?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by scrambler1 View Post
    You mean you are actually going to ride it?
    Yeah, you have a point there. I didn't think about that minor detail.
    Yeah, they have to be operational, so that later on they can sit in the garage gathering dust and leaking oil.

Quote Originally Posted by O.J.Didit View Post
    Get your chain as close to adjusted by links and offset links then put washers under the motor to fine adjust. This is how you adjust the chain tension on a Skat Kitty jackshaft sprocket to the rear wheel. O.J.
    I appreciate the comments OJ, PM sent in reply.
    Has anybody seen the bridge?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Dave,

Received your PM and understand your concerns.

Don't worry about using the latest and the greatest chain especially that 'space' stuff. A Clinton 2 stroke has such low HP and poor torque its not a chain breaker by any means so get standard 35 so you can use offset links.

As far a flex at the motor plate from washers, probably should have been a little more specific and said "spacer" or"sub-mount" as in full surface coverage on the bottom of the motor. Just throw a few washers under the motor and see if it takes up the tension then cut out a full size plate and sandwich it between the chassis and the motor.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing the complete bike.

O.J.

6. Thanks Havasu Dave thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    I relined the original band brake. It's your standard 4" band brake, with things welded on the end, and the lining on the outside instead of the inside. The brake on this bike is fairly easy to duplicate, and other data is on preceding pages.

This is 1" woven, 3/16" thick, and it is epoxied on with high temp JB Weld. I get it from ebay. Also, it's the same stuff I use when I redo the Powell brakes.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    I solved the alignment issue by drilling extra holes in both the A400 base plate as well as the engine plate. There simply was no other way to do it. Period.

I've had the benefit of talking with friends off line on this project, and his is the only other early Flea that "I" am aware of also has the extra holes. Needs pegs- 14" long total according to James C.

Due to some ongoing medical issues, I had to quit drinking many months ago. Quit smoking too. I believe this is a beer left over from last June by my son-in-law. It felt good to caress it's cold, dampness. I forgot what else I was going to say.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Good job Dave!
    Looks like it's ready for a test drive?

Still waiting for my Flexo to arrive. 12 days and still waiting. Greyhound is in no hurry.

10. Thanks Havasu Dave thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Havasu Dave View Post
    Using the @chipper trick of using a straight edge, and with the engine as far to the right as it's mounting bolts will allow it:.

I can get .198" by moving the rear wheel to the left- which just allows the brake to clear the frame, but it wont be enough.

Unless I also cut some of the margin off of the clutch from the sprocket to where it rests on the PTO. I have a message out to Jim Donovan on that. Note that we think a vintage Mercury clutch would have had the sprocket flush. Anybody got one in 5/8?

LOL , I wish I had half your tricks , did you see any of our Talladega videos on FB ? All the big ones happened right in front of us this year ! That little sucker is killer Dave !

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Very nice build Dave, I might have one of those Mercury clutches. NOS. I was going to use it on my Tom Thumb but changed my mind. It was still in the original package. Let me know if your interested and I will double check that I have it.
    "CLONANZA CLAN"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345