Rides
    +2 for you tube.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by EVOL Tweety Bird View Post
    Well just me, but 12 pages going in 27 different directions. I'm lost and I've built a couple of these.

Maybe start with a basic build. Include the standard items, like things to look for in the block, items removed and how to seal them.
    Add what most do, upgraded air filter, header, carb jet/e tube, billet rod and flywheel, cam and springs. Governor and oil sensor removal.
    That gives the dummy a much better running engine then stock, that's going to run for a long time. And they are learning the how and why of what they are doing. If it's dummies, you need to explain step by step, otherwise failure is going to happen. You can't just say install the side cover, you need to explain that the bolts need to be torqued to a proper value, and what happens if they are not. And if you don't tell them a gasket has to be used, it's going to get messy.

Then you could move onto more performance oriented items, like rod length, bigger cams, studs, side covers, etc.

If it's for dummies, you need to do it in easy to follow steps, with photos/ videos, not bouncing all over the place with this aftermarket part or that.

Build the engine first for reliability and some increased performance,then once the dummy is comfortable with what makes the engine tick, and tools needed to correctly work on it, move on to items to make even more power with what they have.

And while you're at it, you might as well get into proper tools and their use. Vice Grips and a hammer might get it done, but it ain't going to be pretty.
    I've been giving this much thought too lately and yes, there are multiple factors involved. Hemi or non hemi, what rpm range would you want. What do you want to do with the engine, top speed, hill climbing, trail riding, drag racing, oval track, or just a good reliable engine. What carb, OEM or Mikuni? Tav or clutch and many more things to consider. These factors would all involve different things like what cam, springs, valves, piston etc.

But I like where this is going. Maybe a cool decision tree diagram?

A lot of the basics are the same though.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Amazing this thread is still here , I figured it would be deleted by someone.

4. Thanks chipper thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Why would it be deleted? It’s going to be step by step with all the correct parts for safety including billet. I will be going home from the Florida Keys tonight and can hopefully get it going again. We can get different “kits” or “packages” with link to the parts so it should help with the different style of racing builds.

Gumpit

6. Thanks mrpat thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Just another thought or three on this thread.
    1. Yup, it's got a Hemi. I like saying that...
    2. It's a good, reliable engine that doesn't spew fuel or leak oil on the garage floor. If I have to take it apart soon after the build, I might give up on the whole project. Success is mandatory.
    3. And it sounds cool, but not so loud that the neighbor's are calling law enforcement again about the noise.
    4.Flow charts are good, and/or something visual for me to look at and not have too many words.
    5.Good idea and thread here, and its a bunch of work. If it was easy, someone would have done it already.
    Usual disclaimer, this is worth what you paid for it,
    Steve

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    I chose a Hemi to start with because I think thats what most people gravitate towards when a newbie.... i am getting ready to start building one. My video skills are not the best. Is there anyone capable of doing a video series of what we are talking about here? Maybe in half hour increments. Live time,so each video is a half hour long.Eric? I think a lot of what we do won’t matter if its a hemi or not. We just need to make sure that the parts we put together are for either/or and we stress which kit/package for each motor.
    I do need to get the correct bolts and plugs together for when I tap the block. BTW the tap and die set was on sale today for $6.99 in case you want to wait until the next tent sale....I picked up a couple more hemis today for stock...

Gumpit

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by gumpit View Post
    I chose a Hemi to start with because I think thats what most people gravitate towards when a newbie.... i am getting ready to start building one. My video skills are not the best. Is there anyone capable of doing a video series of what we are talking about here? Maybe in half hour increments. Live time,so each video is a half hour long.Eric? I think a lot of what we do won’t matter if its a hemi or not. We just need to make sure that the parts we put together are for either/or and we stress which kit/package for each motor.
    I do need to get the correct bolts and plugs together for when I tap the block. BTW the tap and die set was on sale today for $6.99 in case you want to wait until the next tent sale....I picked up a couple more hemis today for stock...
    New project: 8 cylinder HEMI cluster**** engine. More engine more better!

hqdefault.jpg
    Last edited by TheDullCarbide; 03-12-2018 at 05:35 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Gives new meaning to the question "does it have a hemi?"......yeah, like ten of 'em! Love this thread by the way. I've been following along the way and have read all 13 pages so far. Good discussions.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Well todays Blizzard sucked. 12 hours of plowing followed by tomorrows fun in the loader.... I need nicer weather to get started on this build. I am also waiting on a few parts I ordered via the links to “plug the holes”. .. after we decide on what different “packages or kits” and the how to’s. I will condense as much of this thread down as possible. Or we can just leave it with all the “thoughts”. Any “thoughts” on that?

Gumpit

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by gumpit View Post
    Well todays Blizzard sucked. 12 hours of plowing followed by tomorrows fun in the loader.... I need nicer weather to get started on this build. I am also waiting on a few parts I ordered via the links to “plug the holes”. .. after we decide on what different “packages or kits” and the how to’s. I will condense as much of this thread down as possible. Or we can just leave it with all the “thoughts”. Any “thoughts” on that?
    I'll trade for that snow. Snowmobile's runnin strong!