Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

73 Harley X90 project, (am I nuts??)

Hello, new to the site. Hoping there are some knowledgeable folks who can help with info on my quest to bring this little bike back to life.
    Back story, Bike was purchased new by the previous owner for his son. It was ridden, apparently slightly damaged, and given up by the mans son and from 1985 lived a life sitting in a open to the mid west climate back porch under a blue plastic tarp and lots of junk on top of it.
    Current story, a Buddy of mine told me about this little bike and asked if I wanted it as this man was looking to get the bike off his porch. My buddy and I went to see it. I felt like Mike and Frank on American Pickers digging through the pile to expose this little bike. When exposed I did not think it looked as bad as I expected. A deal was made and the bike came home with me, (much to the displeasure of my wife), and I began to look it over.
    Not knowing much about this bike except I rode one that a friend had when it was new, I assessed the bike and began to fiddle around with the bike. Within about a half hour I was able to get the bike running. Made a few adjustments and the bike starts on the first or second kick now, (even cold) and the gears, transmission, and front brake operated perfectly. The rear brake was completely frozen in place but the back wheel spun with a little resistance. Here is what I found after looking the bike over,

Rear brake frozen, brake rod from brake pedal with thumb screw broken and thumb screw seized for life on the rod,

Headlight not working and there seems to be some parts missing inside the headlight housing? All that is there is a goofy small headlight, three little springs, and nothing else. Nothing to secure the springs or headlight to the housing or head light ring. I am sure there is some sort of retaining ring or something like that that is not there?

Tires and tubes are SHOT but are the correct smooth tread for 73.

For tires I have found a source to get semi knobby tires in the correct 3X10 size with inner tubes with a 90% bend on the valve stem. I also found a source with a new head light ring that is affordable. The head light is a WHOLE different story. The only place I found on a Google Search is overseas. The head light correct to this bike is like 55 bucks and shipping it is another 45 bucks. As for the brake pedal rod with the thumb screw that goes to the back brake absolutely no luck finding one.
    The rear brake setup and entire rear wheel and hub have been completely taken apart and the inside of the hub, dirt and slightly corroded is is great shape. Nothing at all wrong with the brake shoes or springs. Just the rocker shaft that the brake rod bracket that hooks to and twists to spread the brake shoes was seized in the hub. It has since been torched and worked on to remove it and has been removed. I removed the entire hub from the wheel and split the wheel into two pieces. Not looking to do a concourse resto on the wheel so I am cleaning the wheel up and painting it Light Argent Silver and polishing and cleaning up the hub assembly. Then I will be doing the same to the front wheel, them replacing the tires and tubes.
    Not wanting to but I figure I can hit one of the local junk yards in my area and look over the junked motorcycles and find a brake rod to retrofit to this bike. I would rather try to find the correct parts but figure that is a lost cause? Same goes for the head light assembly. Thinking this will be something I cannot find I might have to make something fit? Anyhow, lots to clean up and restore but this is a running, (and soon to be driving bike) ready to go to the next level. Thanks for looking and enjoy the pictures.
    Chas.
    -20180608_133930_resized-jpg -20180608_134004_resized-jpg -20180608_134034_resized-jpg -20180608_133936_resized-jpg -20180608_134019_resized-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Nice start. Parts may be available on ebay. probably expensive but worth the effort. Do you have the title? Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Itype2slo View Post
    Nice start. Parts may be available on ebay. probably expensive but worth the effort. Do you have the title? Good luck
    Thanks, Paperwork is coming. Guy lost the title but will fill out any forms to replace it as he was the original owner. Not worried as the guy is like 80 years old and has no reason to give me the runaround. Already found parts on ebay and some are pricey. Nothing I could use for my bike there this go around. Charleston Cycle has only the ring for the headlight. No cables, or head light assembly. That is essentially is what I want is a head light assembly. Wondering if I can just retrofit and old late 60s Sportster head light using a sealed beam instead of the setup that is on the bike now? Maybe I can find an old scooter at a boneyard for one too? Who knows?? Looked all over for the brake pedal rod. Either making one or finding a small CC bike at a junk yard and scrounging one I can retrofit to the bike until an OEM one pops up might be the way to go? Long way to go with this one and I see some expensive re chroming on some parts in the future and lots of time restoring parts but it should be fun!

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    That brake rod looks similar to the one on my 1972 Honda Z50. Look at the pictures on Ebay. Good luck with your restoration.
    "CLONANZA CLAN"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by manchester1 View Post
    That brake rod looks similar to the one on my 1972 Honda Z50. Look at the pictures on Ebay. Good luck with your restoration.
    Thanks for the tip. I'm going to hit a junk yard and look for some old bikes and see if I can find something that will work!

6. Thanks manchester1 thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Welcome to the minibike madness. Love those little Harley's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
    Welcome to the minibike madness. Love those little Harley's.
    Thank you Bob. Liking these little bikes more every day.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Cool build
    Good luck with it

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Scroll down to the CEV headlights setcion on this page, They used funky little W shaped sprinclip to secure the lens to the bezel on those.

Bulbs « Myrons Mopeds

You can try shooting a message to member @dbadgley He has some parts and a couple X90's and 65's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by abodynut View Post
    Thank you Bob. Liking these little bikes more every day.
    Thanks, just getting into it. Not going to hurry anything on repairs as parts are not easy to get. I do plan to restore the bike but early short term plans are to get the tires and tubes, rebuild the wheels, hubs and brakes front and rear and address that broken rear brake rod and the head light issue. I will post pictures as I get things done.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast