Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by manchester1 View Post
    Those bars do look like the brochure. Your making progress. Looks like the grinder needs a work out to take care of a few welds. Good job on the handle bar mounts.
    Yep, I had to replace the entire right side of the forks. Had some welding issues. Nothing new there. I need to remember to grind stuff and arrange lighting better before posting. Not.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Havasu Dave View Post
    Yep, I had to replace the entire right side of the forks. Had some welding issues. Nothing new there. I need to remember to grind stuff and arrange lighting better before posting. Not.
    I suck at welding but my grinding is pretty good. lol

3. Thanks Havasu Dave thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    The bike came with a kick stand welded on to the bottom of the engine plate. It was pretty nasty, but on a whim I cut it out, took it apart and got it looking better. The stand portion was pretty bad, bent up, and out of shape. I never did find out what stand is "supposed" to be in the bike.

I had dismantled a "Cat" stand last week that I am using on another project. For the Cat stand, I fabricated a longer stand portion, drilled the hole, made the slots, worked great. I saved the shorter piece, and surprisingly, it fit and worked great on this one.

Next dilemma was where to put it. No matter what I did, the mounting bolts would interfere with the engine. I decided I'd either weld in some studs, or use some flathead screws. So that is what I did. I can always weld them in later, but for now they work well. Bottom side:

It looks about right.

5. Thanks mrpat, OND, manchester1 thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Looking good so far Dave !
    Lil Indian, Ruttman, DB30, Warrior, lil Bill, EZ Rider, Savage SSC , Powell, BONANZA

7. Thanks Havasu Dave thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Cool So Impressive

Dave.... I've enjoyed all your posts on this restoration. Looks like you had a few hurdles to overcome and the results are just Awesome. I can hardly wait to see it after replating some parts and getting the paint finished. Have you decided on an engine yet? I'm hoping you divert from Original and go modern now.. You have a very good frame set that can do the speed and your Tires/Wheels can do the deed so I'm looking forward to probably one of the best Fleas ever finished. Go the distance Dave!!! Good Luck.... Love your project!
    Weav

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyweav View Post
    Dave.... I've enjoyed all your posts on this restoration. Looks like you had a few hurdles to overcome and the results are just Awesome. I can hardly wait to see it after replating some parts and getting the paint finished. Have you decided on an engine yet? I'm hoping you divert from Original and go modern now.. You have a very good frame set that can do the speed and your Tires/Wheels can do the deed so I'm looking forward to probably one of the best Fleas ever finished. Go the distance Dave!!! Good Luck.... Love your project!
    Weav
    Howdy Weav, I am hardly deserving of your nice words. I've backed off on this project as I am working on another one of mine, as well as a project for another individual. Thanks for the kind words. I've never contemplated using a modern engine on a vintage bike.

LOL, but "Bug" did say this baby was good to go for over 100 MPH.

I was contemplating newer 3.5 flat head engine for it, dressed up like an earlier model.

10. Thanks OND, Flyweav thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Dave, I don't doubt you are working on more than one thing at a time and that makes the work completed on the Flea that much more cool. Lots of good experience... And it was the 100 mph comment that got my attention. I want to learn a bit more about the geometry of that setup and how it truly rides once it's completed. That's why I'll keep lobbying for a more modern engine.... LOL... Otherwise, I totally respect your thoughts on using a more "Period Correct" setup.... Above all, Have Fun!
    Weav
    Last edited by Flyweav; 09-28-2018 at 01:13 PM. Reason: spelling

12. Thanks Havasu Dave thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

14. Thanks OND, ratfink396 thanked for this post

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234