Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Manco Thunderbird not a stock build

Hi. I'm piecing together a custom build that started out as a Manco Thunderbird. It will be unrecognizable when I'm finished.

I would like to post pictures in this message box but I'm not able to. I uploaded 5 pics to my attachment but they do not do justice.

I paid my $25 to upload more pics and get less advertisements but it has not gone into effect yet.

Jon
    Last edited by hogbuoy; 04-27-2014 at 01:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Cool idea, just make sure to stiffen up around the engine plate. I will be be working on mine next week on will have some pictures then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Thanks. I'll have to reinforce the engine plate and that will be a good time to add the forward mounted foot pegs. I was thinking about installing a blown Hemi in my Thunderbird but I don't feel like getting my calves burned. Kinda like a Boss Hogg motorcycle...remember those?

I have a tav2 and a 60 sprocket rear plate. I am considering a 2 speed jackshaft (with a tall suicide 8-ball gear stick) if I can figure out what that is...All my custom choppers used to have suicide gear shift controls.
    Last edited by hogbuoy; 04-27-2014 at 02:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/pr...underbird.html
    I had some fun with my Man Company. There are pictures of how I reinforced the frame. Good luck with your project.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Distractions:

1. A harbor freight tube or pipe bender does not bend square 1 inch tubes without kinking them.

2. I get distracted and now have a 50 pound springer front end for my Thunderbird.

3. I buy a stock exhaust then see a Supertrapp, I have to have, for
    $200.

4. I have a billet flywheel, so now I need to by a billet connecting arm and piston.
    Last edited by hogbuoy; 05-14-2014 at 12:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    LOL are you really putting that front end on there? please please do i love it lol!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

fronnt end

You bet. I have the neck and I'm getting ready to weld it on. I'm keeping the tiny thunderbird neck attached. I cut and heated it yesterday and have a 45 degree rake. I'll weld my springer neck to it and box it in secure when I fill in the cuts.

Haven't decided what size wheels to go with yet or how to attach disc brakes. It;s going to remain a soft tail but rather than have the seat supported with two shocks, as was stock, I'm going to use a mono shock from a suzuki to pivot and support the rear wheel legs.

Got a solo seat I like pictured.

I don't know if I'll do the upgrades to my motor myself or get a mechanic to do it. I plan on getting a billet crank shaft (pricey!), heavier springs. Valves with higher lifts, and a billet connecting rod and piston (pricey as well!).

The super trap exhaust is tunable by adding or subtracting plates. Super- trapps I have used in the past on street rods always sound great.

I haven't used my wire welder in several years. I hope the coiled wire is still good.

Yesterday I ran across a motorized paraglider on ebay. Wow that looks fun....MUST - NOT - CHANGE - HOBBIES - BEFORE - THUNDERBIRD - IS COMPLETE!