Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    I have the same exact welder been using it for 15 years the only thing iv replaced was the rectifiers. I run 035 and straight co2 because its cheap and i dont have to get it at the welding shop they are jerks there. plus i get to keep my bottle and dont have to worry about the expiration date on a new one. they usually give me one that expires sooner than the last one. I actually traded in my mix bottles for co2 bottles.

2. Thanks mrpat thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Havasu Dave View Post
    Thanks David. I don't want to hear about a TIG. I see no reason to invest money in one, as a hobbyist. (I have access if I need it)

What ratio are you using in the Tri mix? There are different ratios, and they do different things, and from what I am reading, none of them apply to iron. Which ratio are you using that gives the appearance of a hotter bead?

I agree with you on the metal thickness of the 140. But as I said, it is more than adequate for mini bike and go kart work, yet small enough for the delicate work, which is a lot of what I do.

I'm willing to give this a try, I don't buy the "hotter" comment, but I am certain that you and Pat's friend saying that means the weld is penetrating and looking better, and I can use that! I need a ratio!
    Dave my gas comes from AIRGAS, inc and iam using their TriMix 90 percent helium and 2.5 co2 and 7.5 argon .

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by David wulf View Post
    Dave my gas comes from AIRGAS, inc and iam using their TriMix 90 percent helium and 2.5 co2 and 7.5 argon .
    Awesome! Thanks for getting back to me on it.
    Has anybody seen the bridge?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    I guess I won't say anything about tigs Dave. :)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by scrambler1 View Post
    I guess I won't say anything about tigs Dave. :)
    Lmao !!! He probably doesn't but TIG is the only way to weld . I rarely ever use my MIG setup.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by David wulf View Post
    Lmao !!! He probably doesn't but TIG is the only way to weld . I rarely ever use my MIG setup.
    If I need something TIG welded, I go down the road to a friend's shop, where he has three of varying sizes and get it done for free.

If I had more money than sense and a need to impress some amateurs on a mini bike website, I could always go buy one.

The reason I said "don't mention TIG" was because this thread was not about TIG, and every time there is a welding thread, some "OMB Expert" has to chime in on how they now have a TIG welder and it will do everything but have sex with them. Some of us are cheerfully remaining in MIG land, muttering to ourselves, "I remember my first beer."

Which reminds me, people who are learning on their MIGs should not post photos of their early work. Specifically "intake manifolds."
    Has anybody seen the bridge?

8. Thanks FOMOGO thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    To date, we are on-board with the MIG camp. We have a Blue machine that plugs into 20A circuit, uses COv2/Argon and 0.024 or 0.030 wire. Maybe ignorance is bliss? I look closely at every reference and picture in an effort to improve my welding skills. Secretly, I know how to get good at welding... Go weld a bunch. And listen to, and watch the folks with experience.
    Thank you all for these kind of threads, even though they make my head hurt...
    Steve

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    [QUOTE=mrpat;1151029]I'm excited about finally being able to get my little welder converted to gas. QUOTE]

Just curious if you have had the chance to do much welding with the gas conversion? Personally I have never done any Flux core Mig welding. Everything I was told about the 2 was always that the gas was the way to go. This was with clean metal. And my focus was sheet metal restoration work. They said flux core was more useful along the same use as a stick welder with dirty, rusty metal.

An interesting note on flux core verses gas. I have a friend that works for an overhead crane company. He deals with purchasing. They build them all the way up to 100 tons capacity. They use .060 flux core wire and gas. I never asked what gas they used... I am curious now. I did ask what their 500 amp machines were set at to weld 3/4'' plate. "Wide open" was the reply... These fellows do some beautiful welding on these box girder cranes. Some of the big box girders I have seen were 60'' tall and 90' long with a bunch of camber (as they call it) built in. The guys would be inside the box welding and the red would show through the 3/4 plate just like you were welding on the outside...

As for the 90 - 2.5 - 7.5 mix gas. Brent Vandervort that owns Fat Man Fabrications told me that his guys weld all their new frames with this mix. As Dave referred to it, Brent called it spray welding. It makes some really pretty welds that's for sure. They use Miller 250 machines and run them hotter than you would think you need. I have a big bottle of this as I was planning to use it on my 56 F-100 frame but I have not tried it yet.

Doug
    "A day without laughter is a day wasted." - Charlie Chaplin
    If stupid could fly you would be a jet.
    Duct tape cant fix stupid but it can muffle the sound.

11. Thanks mrpat thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    I have an older Lincoln 135 that I am running gas on. Tried CO2 and mig mix. Not sure I like one more than the other. But I do seem to always be welding a bit cold. I have seen the 180 machines and have a couple 220 plugs in the garage. Are they worth it or should I just buy the bigger mig for 1500-2000? I had a chance to buy a TIG and passed on it, now wishing I had one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Not wanting to step on toes here...
    I use a big stick machine for everything over 3/16"-1/4". Part of the reason we got the little MIG was the aluminum spool gun capability.
    If we get a TIG, I gotta get a bigger cart...
    SAT

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast