Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

TAV2 Driven-6" or 7"?

I have a TAV2 on my Ty-Rail gokart. It came with a 6" driven. I assume it was chosen because it had a wider shifting ratio than the 7". I had a 7" with belts lying around from my old Yerf Dog. Tried it out, and , the TORQUE. It wasn't just the fact that it was an inch bigger, but the belt just hooked from a dead stop. The old 6" would slip around until 10mph when it decided to give a . This 7", because of the extra surface area, can handle the low end torque.

In the past, I've tried to gear the 6" way low (like 24mph top end), and I could never get the engine to rev past it's usual 3800rpm at top end. This 7" though, I had it geared to top out at 40mph and it revved! I got 4700rpm holding the governor open (little scary running stock ).

I guess if you want low-end torque or if you're racing and revving in high gear, the 7" is a no-brainer. The 6" looks good on paper, but in real life it slips. It probably works for lower HP engines, but not my 6.5.

Disclaimer: This is just my experience. I'm not trying to be right, just sharing.

Ty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    What belt did you go with? It looks like the CL distance falls between belt sizes. Did you slot the backing plate?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    What belt did you go with? It looks like the CL distance falls between belt sizes. Did you slot the backing plate?
    I'm using the -90 belt right now. It's a little tight, but it's still pretty new so maybe it'll stretch. It doesn't seem to take off at idle but I wonder how long the bronze bushing will last. I'm putting off ordering the -91 until I'm done with my other projects. I don't have the original cover for it but I made a sheet metal one that just covers the top. I shimmed it up so I didn't have to slot it.

4. Thanks OUTLAWD thanked for this post