Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Best Gear Ratio Calculator ever!

I wanted to brag and boast for a minute about Alex from DIYgokarts.

I have been using his app for years, and it has given me a huge advantage in preplanning, whether it would be go carts, dragracing my minibike, or flat tracking my minibike. There's a few variables when the numbers get extreme, but for the most part it's very accurate and I am pleased with it, and would like to share it to you guys.

You have to use a mobile device and go to the web address.

App.kartcalc.net

Here is my current project I am restoring, and the gearing I will go with until I get my torque converter.

KartInfo by kartcalc.net:
    Code:

KART

Kartname : Speedway Cc JS RW diameter : 16 in Weight : 300 lbs
    ENGINE
    Engine type : Pred HP : 6.5 Torque : 9.48 ftlb | 12.86 Nm RPM : 5600 Governor removed : true Assummed HP : 7.18
    TRANSMISSION
    System : Clutch & Jackshaft Clutch sprocket : 10 Jackshaft in : 17 Jackshaft out : 12 Axle sprocket : 50 Final Ratio : 7.08:1
    PERFORMANCE
    Wheel Torque : 67.15 ftlb | 91.05 Nm Acceleration : 10.79 fps | 3.29 m/s Top Speed : 37.65 mph | 60.59 km/h

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    How did you come up with the numbers for torque and assumed horsepower?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by moetrout View Post
    How did you come up with the numbers for torque and assumed horsepower?
    The program calculates torque. You enter in stock HP (6.5), and (it calcs assumed HP at end) thn select gov remove button, enter your RPMs ( I use tachometer). Enter all other appropriate tabs and BOOM! It even gives option on TC from 6" to 7" with both high and low gear ratios.

You do have to make sure to select SAE measurements in settings. I use my acceleration fps to gauge take off.

It also always post suggested gear ratio warnings to be safe.LOL takes those with a grain of salt - just a safety feature to protect him I guess.... : shrugs:

I love the app. I have it book marked on my phone and it saves and stores your info. If some one is faster than me, I go change my gear ratio to beat them 1st. Then add rpms and $$$ - Lol
    It has given me an adnavge over others when preparing for a track. I consider straight away distances and needed acceleration. I typically alter my flat track minibike to use 8.5:1 to 11:1 gear ratio - all depending on track.
    I watch the draggers and flat trackers expirament weekly or at races with inappropriate gear ratios. I at least come out with a baseline idea and making it a numbers game when I can.
    Last edited by 2SlickNick; 05-14-2018 at 12:24 PM.