Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Building a high performance HS40!

Rebuliding an HS40 for a Black Widow, but hopefully with a bit more performance. I had the cylinder bored .080" oversize, and nickel silicon carbide plated cylinder wall. Pair that with a Wiseco piston and an ARC billet aluminum connecting rod. Also have a latter model EZ-Pull cam that should have a few thousandths more lift that original. I'm excited to see how it turns out!

Last edited by Rupp 72; 12-07-2017 at 08:06 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    I think if you "port" the block to get rid of the sharp edges in both the intake and exhaust passages you would gain a little flow and power.

Looks like an interesting build. Keep us posted.

Danford1
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all of its students.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    nice nate, thats a Big Hole.
    i think you will like the end result.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    I think I'll give the porting a try Danford. And thanks Brian for all of your help up to this point! Can't wait to start putting it back together

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    nice! I had one of the wiseco .080 over piston/rings awhile back but sold it off, In hindsight I should have kept it because I ended up with a few blocks with really trashed out bores but great shape everywhere else How bad on the wallet is the plating to have done?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Nate. Who did the nickel silicone plating for you. I am doing one also being bored out .080.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    I am interested in the plater as well. I have a few HS40 blocks. One of them destined for a Blackwidow build.
    Keep us posted with detail please.
    Regards,
    Joe51

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    guys, the place i sent nate to have is plating done was a company in plymouth wis called millennium technologies. i found this place last year in doing my research to have this process done on my ohh-build. they are one of the only companys that i found that can do this to a small engine. they also call this a blind boring process where it makes it harder for most companys to do the plating correct. need correct equipment for this type of plating and they had it.....

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by delray View Post
    guys, the place i sent nate to have is plating done was a company in plymouth wis called millennium technologies. i found this place last year in doing my research to have this process done on my ohh-build. they are one of the only companys that i found that can do this to a small engine. they also call this a blind boring process where it makes it harder for most companys to do the plating correct. need correct equipment for this type of plating and they had it.....
    So this place bores the block to the piston and then they plate it

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    yes rick,they bore the block and then plate it and then hone it to piston size....
    sometimes the plating will vary in thickness. that will depend on what's going on with the block. for example poor aluminum casting.
    it may take more plating to bond correctly. good thing with tecumseh's the casting is good...
    i believe my plating only has about .005 to .006 and from the looks of nate's maybe the same. they say the surface wear is stronger then cast iron sleeve and you will wear out the rings before the plating. i think it's a great process for something like nate is doing and for that type of piston and rings he is using or for any racing application.
    Last edited by delray; 12-08-2017 at 01:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast