Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

What year is my h35?

Would someone be able to tell me what year this H35 I just picked up is? The ID plate has Model H35-45119E then Serial Number 6165 there is then a pretty good space and 08397. Had ID plate, not stamped into shroud. I may use this for a Ruttman Vulture I'm restoring. I was going to use a '67 2.5HP B&S I had, but thought this might be a better fit.

IMG_20180110_193624869.jpg
    IMG_20180110_193519334.jpg
    IMG_20180110_201721729.jpg

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides
    1966, predates the Ruttman by a few years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by markus View Post
    1966, predates the Ruttman by a few years.
    Marcus, how did you decide this? I have a NOS HS35 with the side exhaust like this one does. Id love to know what year it is.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sonerenos View Post
    Marcus, how did you decide this? I have a NOS HS35 with the side exhaust like this one does. Id love to know what year it is.
    First digit of the serial, plus shroud design, decal style and other small differences. The rounded tip shroud stopped in 74 sometime I think? Wing that the serial starts with a 6 would make this a 66. If it were the square too with stamped numbers near the head bolts, then it could be a 76 or 86 etc....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bye Felicia!

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Most of the time I can do it with just the correct numbers, certian letters, or lack of can indicate timeframe so you can figure what year they are refeing to in the model/serial numbers sometimes as well if you are unsure of say 66-76-86.... the original poster made it really easy to verify by adding pictures of said engine as well There were alot of changes that can narrow down timeframe that are pretty easy to spot too. for instance if he had just posted up a pic with no numbers, you can narrow that one down to between 1965-1969 just with the shroud and recoil assembly thats on it.

and for reference, there is no such engine as an HS35, They were only ever used the H on the small horsepower engines that are commonly used for mini bike applications. HS was used on the 4 and 5hp engine because when they were created the H40 and H50 designations were already in use on other engines. The S indicates small, as they were physically smaller than the H40 and H50 already in use. So if you want to search your numbers to get parts lists etc, make sure you take out the S, the only thing you may find under the HS35 designation is a Honda snowblower
    Last edited by markus; 01-13-2018 at 11:34 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Most of the time I can do it with just the correct numbers, certian letters, or lack of can indicate timeframe so you can figure what year they are refeing to in the model/serial numbers sometimes as well if you are unsure of say 66-76-86.... the original poster made it really easy to verify by adding pictures of said engine as well There were alot of changes that can narrow down timeframe that are pretty easy to spot too. for instance if he had just posted up a pic with no numbers, you can narrow that one down to between 1965-1969 just with the shroud and recoil assembly thats on it.

and for reference, there is no such engine as an HS35, They were only ever used the H on the small horsepower engines that are commonly used for mini bike applications. HS was used on the 4 and 5hp engine because when they were created the H40 and H50 designations were already in use on other engines. The S indicates small, as they were physically smaller than the H40 and H50 already in use. So if you want to search your numbers to get parts lists etc, make sure you take out the S, the only thing you may find under the HS35 designation is a Honda snowblower

Any idea what year this one is?

Thank You,

-Justin.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Any idea what year this one is?

Thank You,

-Justin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Thanks Markus

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Thanks Markus
    No problem. If you are working on it, yank the shroud back off it and route the plug wire correctly, just below where it is now is a cut out in the fins of the head for it to sit in. Going through that hole in the shroud will probably end up cutting into the wire and and cause it to short out at some point.

They started that style plug location about 1976, instead of running the wire out of the front and wrapping around the engine like the earlier ones were. Pictured below is a 1979 engine I did awhile back that shows pretty good how the wire comes out. Good luck with it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    I can't believe it! I have that EXACT same engine. Same numbers to a "T". Mine came from a school shop class in Vermont. Guy I bought it from was some kind of maintenance man there. Claims it might have 10 hrs. on it. Yeah, like Marcus said, my plug wire comes out from under the shroud.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast