Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    In summary, all three carbs worked fine. I didn't really notice one that was better than another. The Amazon carb https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 was probably the most work to adapt. It did have the advantage of the spring loaded float bowl drain plug. But required a different choke mechanism and plugging/enlarging of two holes. And frankly didn't really see any advantage to the performance.

The other two ebay carbs, #631921 (via ROP) and #631918 seemed pretty equivalent. I could not notice any performance differences. Since others seem to like the ROP (rugged offroad products) carb and have had good luck with it, that's the one I'll probably stick with.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by cfh View Post
    In summary, all three carbs worked fine. I didn't really notice one that was better than another. The Amazon carb https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 was probably the most work to adapt. It did have the advantage of the spring loaded float bowl drain plug. But required a different choke mechanism and plugging/enlarging of two holes. And frankly didn't really see any advantage to the performance.

The other two ebay carbs, #631921 (via ROP) and #631918 seemed pretty equivalent. I could not notice any performance differences. Since others seem to like the ROP (rugged offroad products) carb and have had good luck with it, that's the one I'll probably stick with.
    Thanks for the update! I'm glad the ROP worked out for you and you're happy with it.

I've seen those Amazon carbs before on Ebay. They're obviously not the correct carb because of the levers are very different. The hassle of making them work probably isn't worth it.
    I'm not afraid of death. I'm afraid of dying. I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my father did -- not like his screaming passengers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    I decided to give the super cheap $8 Tecumseh carbs a try too. This one is advertised as good for HS50 motors, part number 632230 and 632272:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Carbure...72.m2749.l2649

I don't have a motor ready to try it yet, but i will keep this thread updated as that changes...

Just a general look at these el cheapo carbs... i like the choke lever. No spring drain on the float bowl.
    tec_cheap2.jpg

tec_cheap1.jpg
    Last edited by cfh; 04-16-2018 at 05:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    I installed the $8 ebay Tecumseh carbs into a pair of hs40 motors. These carbs seems to work just fine... no better or worse than the $15 models i highlighted above. I like the choke lever. It's on the correct (right) side of the carb, and it's a nice size and bend. No float bowl spring drain, but nearly none of the replacement carbs had that (i do miss that option.)

But there are two modification need for the $8 carb to really make it work.

First the side hole needs to be enlarged with a 1/16" drill bit. This is the same modification we did above to one of the $15 carbs (the one designed for the primer bulb, though this carb is not intended for use with a primer).

Second the throttle activator needs a 1/16" hole drilled into it. Otherwise there isn't a good position to hook up the lever from the governor to the carb. All the holes in that carb throttle activator are just in the wrong place to make the throttle operate smoothly.

After doing these two modifications, the $8 carb seems to work just fine. Again i could find no performance problem (or enhancements) with this carb. And at $8, it's hard to deny it!
    Last edited by cfh; 05-16-2018 at 06:55 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123