Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    After looking at pictures I have the wrong piston. Going to just buy a new one as that way I know it will be 2.79”
    Prob my best option at this point

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    If you can see a picture of the piston, the OHH piston will have thinner rings than your original HS50 piston.

Another piston you can run is the LV195EA piston. Is a newer design piston and has coated skirts instead of being chrome plated. I'm running one of those in my Motorsports OHH55. Here's a used one pretty cheap.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Tecumseh-Lawn...6d96%7Ciid%3A1

3. Thanks massacre thanked for this post

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by tecumseh power View Post
    If you can see a picture of the piston, the OHH piston will have thinner rings than your original HS50 piston.

Another piston you can run is the LV195EA piston. Is a newer design piston and has coated skirts instead of being chrome plated. I'm running one of those in my Motorsports OHH55. Here's a used one pretty cheap.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Tecumseh-Lawn...6d96%7Ciid%3A1
    I’ll check that out, thanks!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    It looks like there are 2 part #s for hs50 piston, 63178 and 34536. Can anyone confirm, and any way to tell which is which?
    Thank you!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    I had to get there in a round-about way. Here is the specification sheet for the OHH 60. (Note Bore) http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/...ures/ohh60.jpg

ohh60.jpg

And then look for 40004 under Parts Tree for OHH 60 engine. Link to exploded diagram, note item #40. If you click details, you will see the many engines that use this piston. https://www.partstree.com/parts/tecu...-parts-list-1/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Thanks Dave I was trying to find bore sizes for hs50, had a hard time finding anything. Appreciate the help man

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    Thanks Dave I was trying to find bore sizes for hs50, had a hard time finding anything. Appreciate the help man
    The L Head manual on page 98 lists the bores for both the HS50 bore sizes.

HS50 H & later-2.795 (2 51/64)
    HS50 G & earlier-2.812

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    They list the 40004 I think incorrectly sometimes. I think its an issue with the Tecumseh online parts listings, for instance look up your original engine numbers parts list (for the 67003) and you will see the 40004 piston/rings assy listed as an alternative for a standard set of rings and showing a measurement of 2 13/16". I dont think that is the case

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by markus View Post
    They list the 40004 I think incorrectly sometimes. I think its an issue with the Tecumseh online parts listings, for instance look up your original engine numbers parts list (for the 67003) and you will see the 40004 piston/rings assy listed as an alternative for a standard set of rings and showing a measurement of 2 13/16". I dont think that is the case
    Exactly Marcus i was getting a 40004 number for 67003 as well which was confusing me. Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to help me out. Much appreciated

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    If you are OK with being the reduced size exhaust valve and want to quit dicking around trying to find the right stuff there are NOS SBH's on ebay that you can use, you will have to transfer your early/small taper crankshaft (and sidecover unless you like the oil fill location-note late model sidecovers are usually thicker at the mounts so you want to use the shorter bolts from you early engine if you do transfer) Or if your upgrading to a Ball bearing shaft the correct sidecover for that will have to be used but your original engine number 67003 shows as being a bushing engine originally.

I just ordered one of these, Its still enroute though. I am not postive of the year made yet but the revision on the sheet shown in the pic looks like maybe 2004. so its pretty late built.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tecumseh-Sh...53.m1438.l2649

I did talk to another member that picked one up as well and already has it, he verified that the shaft is keywayed (the parts number does indicated that but you never know and its not visible in the photo) so you could use a 1981-84 flywheel and parts and not have to even open it up if you have those handy and still wanted to do a points engine.

Using the late model longblock assy SHOULD not be a problem, BUT I have not personally done anything hands on yet. I followed the revision numbers though on a 1994 SBH I have on the shelf right now which was the last of the big valve blocks. it is a mini bike/recreational spec replacement for pre 1981 engines, so its a block that has provisions for electronic ignition but came loaded with a pre 1981 ball bearing crankshaft. If you search the revisions of its number they show that they were stuffing the early taper crank into late model block after that for SBH's. So if you strolled into your Tecumseh retailer in say 1996 or later and said you needed a replacement longblock for your Rupp swifter shifter, monkey wards king cobra etc.. you would get the latest small valve block with the small taper shaft loaded into it, so Tecumseh was showing as doing it.

this is the 1994 made SBH I have for reference:

I have early blocks and parts, only bare blocks I have right at this minute though would most likely need to be bored. I have some that need to be taken down that bores look pretty nice visually and should spec out pretty decent but I cant get them torn down fast enough to help you right now unfortunately.

12. Thanks Havasu Dave, massacre thanked for this post

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast