Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides
    the engine numbers above are ball bearing engines-true Mini bike/recreational use HS50's were all ball bearing output and those were made for Dialex (arco). you can use the C number to find the crankshaft online. Partstree is the source I use the most since it comes up first usually on google, never ordered from them though. And that is the entire magneto number, so if you search that number and tecumseh at the same time you will find the parts breakdown for it showing the flywheel number along with stator etc..

2. Thanks massacre thanked for this post

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by markus View Post
    the engine numbers above are ball bearing engines-true Mini bike/recreational use HS50's were all ball bearing output and those were made for Dialex (arco). you can use the C number to find the crankshaft online. Partstree is the source I use the most since it comes up first usually on google, never ordered from them though. And that is the entire magneto number, so if you search that number and tecumseh at the same time you will find the parts breakdown for it showing the flywheel number along with stator etc..

Thank you once again Markus for the info. I guess ultimately I would like to end up with 2 hs-50 engines, one with points and one without, but both with bearing cranks and side overs. This old bushing crank and cover are beat but I have the vintage shroud and the ignition works ok. I have a new long taper crank that came with my SBH, plus a new short taper crank coming. In a perfect world, I would have both crankshafts machined to take a bearing and retaining clip/snapring and drilled/tapped at the ends if necessary.

That way I could have 2 hs-50s since I have enough parts for 2 engines and 1 could be a spare.

Thank you for the explanation on the part #s makes way more sense now
    Last edited by massacre; 06-25-2018 at 09:55 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Part # 34728 seems to be the ticket, none available that I can find. I only want one so I can copy the measurements. I guess the thing to do is to get a bearing and have both cranks machined to whatever the bearing ID is.
    The tricky part will be the snap ring groove, does anyone have any measurements on this? Thanks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    I don't know about the newer HS50's, but on the OHH engines the crank journals are 1" on the bushing and bearing engines. The only difference in the cranks is the snap ring groove. The snap ring groove is dead center of of the journal. The crank OD is .998" and the snap ring groove OD is .938".

I don't know if the HS cranks are the same, but the rod, piston, and cam will all swap between the HS and OHH, so I would think they may be the same.

Maybe somebody can confirm or deny this?

Also, IF the HS stuff is the same as the OHH stuff, this is the best price I've found on the bearing.

6. Thanks massacre thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Tec power, the small frame H and HS didn't work that way with the ball bearing.

Heres is the specs for the small frame BB cranks.....the one shown (33676) is the early small taper (1972-1980), but the same measurements on the output end apply to both early and late cranks.

8. Thanks massacre thanked for this post

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Thanks so much for this information

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    So I finished rebuilding this engine today, wow what a difference! It runs like it should have the first time!
    I had to move the engine back a little in the frame since the belt was grabbing at idle for some reason (it wasn’t before).

Once I figured that out and set the idle speed, I went out for a short jaunt around the neighborhood. The bike ran great! I had it at WOT and it got up to speed nicely, RPMs we’re not super high either, I don’t think I would ever overspin the engine the way it is now. I have a little tach I need to hook up now that it is actually running good.

My guess is that the block/sidecover/crank was out of round plus the rod was hitting the governor rod inside the engine. I used the wrong gasket on the exhaust and the spark plug was loose in the head.
    This time around I used a NOS SBH, BB sidecover and new crank and rod. There is barely any if any side play on the crank, where there was a lot of slop before.
    I’m super happy with the way this engine is running so far, it’s not a race bike by any means right now but it runs as it should. I ported the intake manifold and intake runner and put epoxy there to make it round. Left the exhaust alone left carb alone this is stock- valves,springs,retainers, air cleaner, etc.

I have another HS50 engine I want to build with more performance in mind- cam, springs, retainers, etc with curved shroud and thin flywheel with new crank, BB cover, etc. maybe a slide carb.

Now I have an engine to ride while I build another engine! LMAO

Thanks everyone for all of your help and insight it really helped my a lot

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789