Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Molding metal by hand is art.. on a mini bike fender skirts might be cool..style vs cost of weight
    Last edited by Raskin; 03-14-2018 at 09:36 PM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpat View Post
    I painted the beast and added some 3"x3" gusstes under each side. I stuffed a piece of scrap sheet metal and messed with it a bit just to see what it'll do.
    Pat, what a cool tool. Ever since I watched one of the motorcycle chopper shows, I wanted one of these. I'd watch the guys make fuel tanks out of flat metal, and it seemed magic to me.

@FOMOGO Doug I wasn't real excited about the idea of a metal working, or machinist heading here, but it's turned out well. Especially with guys like SAT and a few others chiming in with their experiences and cattailhaas' examples of roadster parts. I have a friend building a 33 Roadster, and he is having to buy most of that stuff. Great thread. Look forward to seeing more of this fabricated stuff.

3. Thanks FOMOGO thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Havasu Dave View Post
    Pat, what a cool tool. Ever since I watched one of the motorcycle chopper shows, I wanted one of these. I'd watch the guys make fuel tanks out of flat metal, and it seemed magic to me.

@FOMOGO Doug I wasn't real excited about the idea of a metal working, or machinist heading here, but it's turned out well. Especially with guys like SAT and a few others chiming in with their experiences and cattailhaas' examples of roadster parts. I have a friend building a 33 Roadster, and he is having to buy most of that stuff. Great thread. Look forward to seeing more of this fabricated stuff.
    Dave there are a lot of talented guys here and if someone can have an "ah ha" moment and figure something out from one of these threads then its all a plus. I agree it seems an odd subject for the forum but these old bikes require Imagineering sometimes (You are good at this) and I hope more of it shows up here.

We have a metal shaping class at school. We will be taking that next year. They build full sized Motorcycle fenders out of aluminum and Café Racer style seats. He has an aluminum tank on display that is roughed in but not welded. I have discussed making a buck and fabricating Bonanza fenders with the instructor. He said that it would not be a problem to do..... I am going to find out. I talked to him about making an all steel Teardrop hood scoop for my 65 Falcon. I had a fiberglass scoop on my 64 that I drove to High School. That was a nightmare with it bonded to the steel hood. We pulled a mold off of it and made a 1 piece hood that was still on it when I sold it. I still have the old glass scoop that will be the buck for the steel version. He teaches metal finishing too so I am looking forward to that class. Hopefully the Bonanza fenders will get started soon.

Doug
    Last edited by FOMOGO; 03-15-2018 at 01:10 PM.
    "A day without laughter is a day wasted." - Charlie Chaplin
    If stupid could fly you would be a jet.
    Duct tape cant fix stupid but it can muffle the sound.

5. Thanks mrpat thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    @mrpat you might want to try tuck shrinking too. Its a time honored technique that is super simple to do.

Here is a link to some good tuck shrinking info.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=KKu....0.-O-HRLZ9Rcg

You can make your own tuck shrinking tool. I good round head mallet will lock the tucks and move the metal. It a challenge that gives good results with a little practice. You can make your own tuck shrinking tool by using 2 tapered pry bars from harbor freight. Cut them in half and weld the pointed halves together then add a handle so that you can twist them on the metal. Quick and simple.

This is a good metal shaping forum if you want to take in lots of information.

All MetalShaping - Powered by vBulletin

Doug
    Last edited by FOMOGO; 03-15-2018 at 01:28 PM.
    "A day without laughter is a day wasted." - Charlie Chaplin
    If stupid could fly you would be a jet.
    Duct tape cant fix stupid but it can muffle the sound.

7. Thanks mrpat thanked for this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12