Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Got the 2 inner truck arm brackets finished and welded on. Turned out good I think. Spent some time figuring the dimensions of the rear part of the frame. Going to build a fuel cell can and the surrounding frame next. Then fixture it in place to locate the rear part of the rails. That way I can build the drop from the over axle rail down to the rear rails to fill in the last piece. Then on to the Panhard bar bracket. Then some X braces and some triangulation bracing to stiffen it up a bit. Also need to bend 2 - 7 or 8 inch pieces of C channel to weld on the very rear of the frame for bumper arm mounting and the rear bed mount. Will need to do the same on the front too.

Getting closer...

Truck arm brackets

The rivet locks the eccentric to the bracket in the center of the slot so that the other side will be in the center also. The bolt has a flat spot that fits the flat spot in the washer so they index together.

More frame rail progress

Last edited by FOMOGO; 08-10-2018 at 05:38 PM.
    "A day without laughter is a day wasted." - Charlie Chaplin
    If stupid could fly you would be a jet.
    Duct tape cant fix stupid but it can muffle the sound.

2. Thanks massacre thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    This is the last update that I can make while I am still in school. Well I am not in school any longer as the fall semester starts Monday.

But I can work on it further on Fridays only as there are no classes on Fridays. The catch is that it is only a half day... I really want to finish up the welding before it comes off the jig table. So progress will be slow with only a half day every week but I think I can do what I need in 5 or 6 Fridays.

The chassis is fully welded but there is no cross bracing, fish plates or crossmembers yet. I can fabricate most of these things at home and then it will be a quick install when I get there. So this should speed up progress for me. I plan to fab everything except the trans crossmember and the engine mounts with it on the table. When it gets home I can mount the cab and then locate the engine and trans as far rearward as possible. Then onto exhaust fabrication and about 500 other things to get it on the road.

Here are some pics of where it is currently at.

I built a NASCAR style fuel cell can for the rear of the chassis for a couple of reasons. I wanted to enclose the fuel cell and I wanted the "look" of the Cup Car chassis. I started this on Monday morning and the sheet metal insert got me. I had just sheared it and bent the uprights. I was moving it on the table and it slipped... Gotcha! It layed my left thumb open and I have had to work 1 1/2 handed all week... Had to try to keep plugging along to the end.

After getting the rear section fixtured in place I needed to build a right side panhard bar bracket. The bracket is 3/4 plate. It needs to be inserted into the right rail. I notched the bottom of the rail and drilled a 1/2'' hole in the top for a good solid plug weld. Angled it slightly so that the heim joint would line up straight. Welded it in and then added the right side rail. It is fully captured this way. Built a side brace for it and added some ornamental lightening holes. Still need to add the cross brace. This is the one that controls the actual load created by the panhard bar. That will be the first thing next Friday.

The entire chassis is now fully welded. Felt like I had finally gotten it together.

Here are several shots from various angles. The old dirty frame sitting on my industrial strength "saw horses" (for lack of a better name) is an extra 56 F-100 chassis that I am using as the "go by" to get my measurements right. Both chassis are actually lined up at the rear axle center line. These shots also show how much higher the suspension is in relation to the original. The shot from the front is just a good overall shot I thought. You can also see that the truck has been named.... "Winston" This came about because of the fact that when the wife and I enjoyed and actually watched NASCAR racing it was "The Winston Cup". This is the only vehicle that I have ever owned that actually got a name....

In the second pic you can see the green 1/4'' masking tape along the side of the jig table. That is ground. The bottom of the rails are fixtured at 8'' above ground. The rails are 4'' above the table and the tape line is 4'' below the table. The tires are 27'' tall 295/50X15's. I did this so that I could run cup car wheels. The spindles were and the rear axle is fixtured at 13 1/2'' from ground.

Last edited by FOMOGO; 08-18-2018 at 08:48 PM.
    "A day without laughter is a day wasted." - Charlie Chaplin
    If stupid could fly you would be a jet.
    Duct tape cant fix stupid but it can muffle the sound.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12