Clinton A400 Rebuild

Yes Scrambler1, I would like one of your aluminum flywheels.
My research into parts listings shows the aluminum flywheel is old # 5779-B and new part # 83-66-500 for the A400/A490.
Let me know price and your email and I can do PayPal or other payment method if you prefer.
83-66-500 flywheel is for a reverse rotation engine ( clockwise rotation viewed looking at the PTO).
That was an option for karts that need a an engine on the right rear of the kart, before 'live axles' were available.
So the kart you are working on will dictate the engine position and rotation.
Picture your kart?

Here are a few flywheels. You may have the one in upper right?
I use the aluminum one in the upper left as a replacement

102_0682.jpg

Last edited:
Engine serial # is X 1155776 A and A400.
I suspect it a standard rope start series and not counter clockwise. Engine was not runnable when purchased and do not know for certain.
Is there any way to tell? I have not located Clinton engine serial # list so uncertain year of manufacture.
Fly wheel fins slanted to the "right" on the iron flywheel I removed. Most likely a clockwise turn I assume.
I will take pic of my carb, a LMB70 and send to you. From the illustration carb it looks like my LMB70 but with out the bell crank and link to throttle. I think the 91954 kit would work.

If my serial # tells you anything let me know.

Kart frame is a RobRon Rupp fun kart. Engine mount plate on left rear side of cart.

Look at your rope starter. It it pulls and spins the flywheel CLOCKWISE, as viewed from the Flywheel side, then it is called a COUNTER CLOCKWISE engine, as viewed from the PTO end..
Is the engine on the left side of the frame, spinning the left wheel or the right side, spinning the right wheel?
Left wheel is a CCW engine, right wheel is a CW engine.
Hope that helps.

Yeah, it is a lefty, which is correct for your kart.
Then the upper left flywheel will work.
Is the engine in decent shape? Rope start engines typically are pretty old.

I purchased engine separately. Was not orignal to my kart frame. Although this kart was sold with serveral motors including the Clinton Panther.
Engine mount plate is on kart frame left side. Engine as purchased had compression but has sat for ???? years. Gas tank was left with fuel and turned into gunk. A radiator shop may be able to clean. engine is partially dissembled.
Flywheel is marked with part # 5711-C. This may indicate counter clockwise as standard parts list flywheel as 5711-A and is new part # 83-10-500. Can you confirm the 5711-C flywheel is a count clockwise? If so do you have an aluminum CC flywheel?

Look at my LMB70 carb and it is a duplicate of carb shown for the 91954 go kart linkage adapter kit.

The 83-12-500 flywheel is CCW. it is the one in upper left above - $25
The linkage kit is $25.
The better rod is $50 if shipped in the same box
Shipping for above - $18

You are correct, the upper right flywheel looks exactly like the one I took off my engine.
Ok, $118.00 total for an 83-12-500 flywheel, linkare kit 91954 and the HD rod and shipping.
How would you like to get paid: money order, PayPal, etc.
Please provide your name and address. I can express payment to you. Unless you are set up as a business with PayPal, PayPal routinely blocks person to person family and f

You are correct, the upper right flywheel looks exactly like the one I took off my engine.
Ok, $118.00 total for an 83-12-500 flywheel, linkare kit 91954 and the HD rod and shipping.
How would you like to get paid: money order, PayPal, etc.
Please provide your name and address. I can express payment to you. Unless you are set up as a business with PayPal, PayPal routinely blocks person to person family and f
I'll message my paypal address.