CT200u EX Stage 2 Kit questions

I installed a stage 2 kit, (18lb valve springs, aftermarket carb, air filter, and exhaust) as well as Speed Gov Delete, And the Aluminum Billet Flywheel.
Today, when i started my bike after work, i noticed it was smoking quite a bit from the exhaust, read about it that it could be Valve seal leak, gas in oil, etc.
Also noticed i can only get it to start if i turn the idle screw all the way in.
Air fuel mixture screw is 2.5 turns out from all the way in.
i filled up my tank yesterday, rode about 7.3 miles all together from then to today, and noticed im at a little under half a tank.
If anyone can give me insight that would be awesome. i love this bike and dont want anything to go awry.

Too late, it's gone awry. :D

Did you remove internal gov. parts or just external arm? Not a good idea either way without installing a billet rod. Just worse if you leave it inside to spin around untill it comes apart.
On a stock engine the governor linkage holds the throttle open until the engine starts then it closes to whatever rpm the idle speed screw is set at.
Now that that's gone you have to hold the throttle open a little bit to do the same thing when starting it up.
What color is the smoke from exhaust?

Too late, it's gone awry. :D

Did you remove internal gov. parts or just external arm? Not a good idea either way without installing a billet rod. Just worse if you leave it inside to spin around untill it comes apart.
On a stock engine the governor linkage holds the throttle open until the engine starts then it closes to whatever rpm the idle speed screw is set at.
Now that that's gone you have to hold the throttle open a little bit to do the same thing when starting it up.
What color is the smoke from exhaust?
Removed the internal gear; left the arm inside the engine as i didnt have anything to plug the hole with, and the smoke coming out the exhaust is white/ grey, im assuming valve leak considering i opened the valve cover head and it smelt like gas, n my oil smells a bit like gas as well.

Change your oil before you start it again. Gas in the oil will RUIN an engine real fast.
Either it is running REALLY rich or someone poured gas into your oil.
Gas in the oil raises the oil level, thins and dilutes the oil. Diluted oil does not lubricate or cushion moving parts. Diluted oil will get up past the rings and smoke out the exhaust.
YOU HAVE A CARBURETOR PROBLEM.
Your stock, original carburetor would not have a problem like this. If you are determined to keep the "aftermarket carburetor", then learn how it works and how to troubleshoot it. You should probably start by adjusting the float level.
I, personally, would start by putting it back the way it came, and tweaking the governor and the stock carb. Good luck
Have fun and be safe. Dave

Last edited:
Change your oil before you start it again. Gas in the oil will RUIN an engine real fast.
Either it is running REALLY rich or someone poured gas into your oil.
Gas in the oil raises the oil level, thins and dilutes the oil. Diluted oil does not lubricate or cushion moving parts. Diluted oil will get up past the rings and smoke out the exhaust.
YOU HAVE A CARBURETOR PROBLEM.
Your stock, original carburetor would not have a problem like this. If you are determined to keep the "aftermarket carburetor", then learn how it works and how to troubleshoot it. You should probably start by adjusting the float level.
I, personally, would start by putting it back the way it came, and tweaking the governor and the stock carb. Good luck
Have fun and be safe. Dave
how would one adjust the float level, and tweakcthe governer. any youtube videos would also be helpful. thank you.

1712175995986.png Does your carburetor look like this one? If it does, please show a picture of how the throttle is connected to it with your "governor delete".
Put the governor back in it and I will explain how to go fast and be safe.

Last edited:
Put the governor back in it. That is the carb you want for a good, solid performing GOVERNED engine.

He did NOT remove his governor, nor did he recommend that you should remove yours.

I cannot help you much more without a governor installed.
Maybe someone else can step in from here.
Have fun and be safe.

you cant leave the governor arm in flopping around it will hit the rotating assembly and crack the top of the case. Your lucky it did not already happen. There are a lot of stage x kits around if we do not not what carb was supplied no idea how to adjust it.

you cant leave the governor arm in flopping around it will hit the rotating assembly and crack the top of the case. Your lucky it did not already happen. There are a lot of stage x kits around if we do not not what carb was supplied no idea how to adjust it.
It looks like a stock type replacement carb with idle mixture adjustment.

im not skilled with these things if you couldnt tell lol, i was looking for answers on reddit and that might be part of it.
The minibike sub on Reddit is good for asking questions if you want a 14yo with 3 months of experience watching YT videos on minibikes answering your question.

You've got some "grumpy" people on here, but they will help. That's if you want to do things the right way. If you want to half-ass your engine build, go back to Reddit and listen to the kids posting there.

Minimichael

You gotta watch several, in my opinion. Different YT'ers have different points of view, and corners they like to cut.

And first your screw settings gotta get to normal. Check your gaskets and o-ring at the carb, manifold and block for good seals. I'm guessing air leak and you're screwing in to wide-open-idle in order to compensate and match fuel to air getting in, enough so it'll limp along and smoke, but maybe the smoke is some of that excess unburnt fuel getting through to the exhaust stage.

And you need to finish the governor. And I think swap to a stock rod.

And post pictures. Please.

SAS289

You gotta watch several, in my opinion. Different YT'ers have different points of view, and corners they like to cut.

And first your screw settings gotta get to normal. Check your gaskets and o-ring at the carb, manifold and block for good seals. I'm guessing air leak and you're screwing in to wide-open-idle in order to compensate and match fuel to air getting in, enough so it'll limp along and smoke, but maybe the smoke is some of that excess unburnt fuel getting through to the exhaust stage.

And you need to finish the governor. And I think swap to a stock rod.

And post pictures. Please.
The OP may have watched several and think we're full of it for being concerned about the governor shaft that's still in the block. He may have watched Black66 running 5K plus RPM in one of his videos with the shaft still there.