100 dollar 1960 Homelite Spitfire

I got this 1960 Spitfire off Craigslist for 100 bucks.

After I finished my 58, it turned out too nice for the kids to ride so I had been looking for another cheap kart project that I could let them use. How wild is it that I found another Homelite Spitfire? These karts are rare and I end up with two...

It came with this 8 horse Briggs and was advertised as a running driving kart, but despite my best effforts I could not get this thing to run.

Somebody at some time had welded these rails on it, I am guessing it saw a lot of use in fields or brush.

The steering wheel had been welded on and I had to cut it off, so I will need to make a new shaft for it so I can use a nicer wheel.

Here you can see the hacked up steering linkage which will need to be redone, it is a bear to steer like this.:freakout::freakout:

They made a scrub brake for it which has got to go, plus the gas and brake pedals are reversed.:eek:ut:

This is an original homelite split steel wheel.

The fronts are these very cool vintage split aluminum wheel with nice original General tires on them. Can anyone identify these wheel for me?:shrug:

Nice looking cart, after seeing how nice your other one turned out I'm sure this one will be just as nice! Keep up posted on updates and pics are always nice!

Nice looking cart, after seeing how nice your other one turned out I'm sure this one will be just as nice! Keep up posted on updates and pics are always nice!
I have been working on it and taking pictures, just haven't had time to post them. The cart is going to be a thrasher kart for my kids to use. I have the body painted, went with yellow. The wheels and some other items are out getting media blasted.