11 hp powersport

Timing is the only thing that should cause an engine to shoot fire. But the OP posted that it idles...... and idles high........... I think more of an actual description is needed.

rich

the man i bought the motor form changed the governor spring could that have screwed up the timing or do i just need the original spring. dose this motor have carb adjustments or not it has no primer bulb.

the man i bought the motor form changed the governor spring could that have screwed up the timing or do i just need the original spring. dose this motor have carb adjustments or not it has no primer bulb.
The governor spring can be adjusted just takes a trial and error way to get it where you want. You can stretch, shorten it etc.

As for the timing -remove the crankcase cover and make sure the cam and crankshaft line up. They should each be marked you just have to line them up together.

I dont know how bad your case of engine shooting flames is but its usually common to have a spark or flame shoot out the exhaust when your revving it to high RPMS with no load.

Post some pictures for better help.