12 volt wiring

I have a 5 hp Briggs fun power with electric start. it has the single wire with red connector. from what I have found, the wire is 1.2 amp unregulated DC. What I am trying to figure out is: Can I run this straight to the battery to charge or do I need a regulator or what?? Also: what would b the smallest battery I can use on my mini bike to run the starter and lights?? I was thinking a 5L-BS? my engine code is: 136217-1140-E1 of it helps anything. THANKS in advance!

delray

yes you can do all of it....:thumbsup:
one thing i found out that my lighted coil put out 2amps. that was little bit higher then the factory rated.....:thumbsup: also i wired in a one way diode so there was no way to damage the lighted coil and modified my lights with leds so i would still have little bit of amps going back to the battery to charge it.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/12275-project-build-rear-springs.html
also note i use a key switch that starts/lights/off
briggs/baja electric start - YouTube

Last edited:
I don't believe my alternator is any good. I put my meter on it the other day and I couldn't get a reading. might have had the meter on the wrong setting but Idk I was doing it in kind of a hurry. What does the wire look like that is on yours?

delray

pretty simple looking. just one wire coming out with a red clip end. when i hooked my lighted coil wire up to my tester it read low 12's dc current at idle and when rev up it jump into the high 12's. thats hook up to a 12v battery. i can't remember off hand what it ran straight off the wire? may have been much higher? with only 2 amps coming out of it and hook up to a small battery it kind of acts like the regulator for the voltage. keeping the voltage down in the 12's. perfect for my leds, because they don't like high voltage going thru them. for example high 13's into 14+ range. and with only 2 amp's or less going thru the battery it will never over charge it...................:scooter:

I believe that's the same one I have. What setting did u have your meter on? the manual said to put it on: A= (something along those lines) but I don't have a setting that has that picture on my meter.

delray

i just use a digital multimeter and set it to dcv on 20. you will have different settings like 200 1000 2000m 200m etc...
i believe most you will get out of it without a battery/light hookup will be maybe 15+volts? hook it up to a battery/light and it will stay around 12+volts....
make sure your lighted coil and flywheel are clean/no rust.........:thumbsup: