19 horse electric mini update

NewAge

Greetings my minibike brothers, I am following up with status on a project that I started many months ago and have finally made it to the test riding phase, and just as my preliminary design specifications would have indicated, the mini is very fast, the crew started calling it "Electrasaurus Rex" overlooking its small size and focusing on its ability to scare you. I have provided a picture of the E-Rex as it takes a little rest during a hard 3 hours of power testing, we were working with the programming of the controller to tame it down a bit to a state of rideability as it had a tendency to have the front end come up like a superbike under hard acceleration. After nearly 3 hours of drag racing it up and down the street it still had plenty of charge left. The little chain incurred a lifetime of wear during the testing and was stretched beyond our ability to adjust out the slack so it was replaced, the gearing capped the top speed at 45 but it would get there in under four seconds if you could keep the front down. I will be posting more pictures and video soon. Thanks for looking.

NewAge

The motor is a Briggs and Stratton Etek rated at 9 hp continuous and 19.3 hp peak
at 300 amps. I used an alltrax fully programmable AXE controller and a magura 0-5k ohm throttle. The battery pack is 48 volts (12x4) 22 amp hour and capable of delivering 300 amps. the whole thing is linked up with 6 awg wire and everything stays cool even under full power operation. This power system is available in kit form but nobody has ever stuffed it into a minibike before, at least that I know of, and now I kinda understand why :biggrin:

Where's the Beef? lol, what's with the panels, can't see what makes that puppy tick, sounds very interesting, WOW! 19 horses? I noticed a slick on the rear and a treaded tire on front, does it burn rubber? Good job!!! If you can do it to a mini and it lasts 3 hrs, maybe detroit can stuff all that into a car and pull us out of this fuel mess we are in, Did you hear that Detroit? You can be the hero!!! Then when it come to trading food for oil , we can tell em to drink their oil!!!
dave

NewAge

Yeah Dave, I hate paying the high gas prices too but I'd gladly set them up with all the oil that they could drink and put it on my tab, HA!!

the side panels serve three purposes, one, they anchor down lots of guts like the main fuse, the dual 12v converters, the low voltage fuse and terminal blocks, two, they keep fingers away from live wires, and third, they protect that $600 dollar etek motor from possible damage. Additionally they will make a great billboard for Rat Fink stickers and maybe a big number 48 for Jimmie Johnson. HA!

Cool! I've often thought about building a scaled up version of my sons Razor Dirt Bike.

It's a 32 volt 500 Watt bike that goes about 25mph and 12 miles per charge.

I figured I'd use 4 12volt batts for 48 volts and common golf cart speed controls.

Nice job on yours!