1965 3hp gas tank help

matt2

Hi you guys. Here is my 1965 3hp gas tank. It seems to be missing a tank fuel well for fuel pick up for the short tube. I have seen pictures of the newer tank one hole with half of that hole a well. My tank is older 1965 and it has two holes the bigger one should have a well. PLEASE someone that has my style tank show a picture of the well. I'm going to fab something I just need a starting place. Who is the briggs & stratton guy with the big brain on here?

ok I've showed you mine now show me yours:no:

matt2

Ok I came up with this please let me know what you think. A piece of copper pipe cap the bottom. Make it just long enough that the carb when bolted on holds it from moving around. Drill holes in the very top of copper pipe for fuel overflow back to tank. Man, I think this will work. The only problem I see is a piece of pipe that fits right. Here are some pictures the pipe is just to give you an idea of what I'm thinking.

Ask and you shall receive!

Best images I could with light available. Cup is about the diameter of the gas cap it seems. And is only a few millimeters deeper than thee short pick-up.

Interested to see what ya come up with! :laugh:

matt2

Ask and you shall receive!

Best images I could with light available. Cup is about the diameter of the gas cap it seems. And is only a few millimeters deeper than thee short pick-up.

Interested to see what ya come up with! :laugh:
Do you want to sale that tank?

FYI tho this tank was cleaned out of rust. Used rust remover and oxy-solve-it (i think) to clean er out. If ya still want it, shoot me a PM. I bet we can work something out. Off to dinner ATM but will be checking back in later.

matt2

FYI tho this tank was cleaned out of rust. Used rust remover and oxy-solve-it (i think) to clean er out. If ya still want it, shoot me a PM. I bet we can work something out. Off to dinner ATM but will be checking back in later.
We did work something out!!!! Just want to say thanks to Flexmod3. I'm taking the easy and best way out a new tank with intact fuel well, nice.

I'd sure like to know the story on how that well made it out of the tank to begin with, that had to be a chore if someone actually removed it.:doah:

matt2

I'd sure like to know the story on how that well made it out of the tank to begin with, that had to be a chore if someone actually removed it.:doah:
The guy I bought this engine from off cl was a nice old guy just like me.So I thought I would give him a call back and see if he had to keep the tank full to run it. He was glad to here I was working on it. He said yes he had to keep above 2/3 full.Then he went on to explain a bunch of years back when it started runnig like this he took it apart. He found the fuel well all rusted out and just tore it out. He thought the rust was pluging the carb.He figured out that that was where the engine got fuel from. He said after he found out what it used to do he just kept it full.He said sorry he should have told me. I told hem no biggie it's been a fun trip gitting here.
SO MYSTERY SOLVED!!!
-----------------------

The guy I bought this engine from off cl was a nice old guy just like me.So I thought I would give him a call back and see if he had to keep the tank full to run it. He was glad to here I was working on it. He said yes he had to keep above 2/3 full.Then he went on to explain a bunch of years back when it started runnig like this he took it apart. He found the fuel well all rusted out and just tore it out. He thought the rust was pluging the carb.He figured out that that was where the engine got fuel from. He said after he found out what it used to do he just kept it full.He said sorry he should have told me. I told hem no biggie it's been a fun trip gitting here.
SO MYSTERY SOLVED!!!
-----------------------
Man that tank but of been RUSTED. Thought mine was pretty bad, so I was pretty aggressive with cleaning... Glad it held together! :laugh:

matt2

Man that tank but of been RUSTED. Thought mine was pretty bad, so I was pretty aggressive with cleaning... Glad it held together! :laugh:
The funny thing is the tank has very minor rust in side and it looks good inside. You have to wonder why only that fuel well rusted away?

The funny thing is the tank has very minor rust in side and it looks good inside. You have to wonder why only that fuel well rusted away?
i have seen them rust up on a few tanks . what i was thinking is that water gets in the top well with the gas . then the gas evaps out leaving the water , as a few i have worked on have had full water in them and old nasty gas in the bottom :shrug:

matt2

i have seen them rust up on a few tanks . what i was thinking is that water gets in the top well with the gas . then the gas evaps out leaving the water , as a few i have worked on have had full water in them and old nasty gas in the bottom :shrug:
Well look at the metal man with the big brain!!!! That makes the most sense to me.:thumbsup: