1969 Rupp Roadster build

Hey everyone, i've been building this mini bike for about 3-4 weeks now in my free time.

This was my friends bike years ago. one day he came over and wanted to tear it down and clean it up. well he lost his job and asked if I wanted it and if not he was just going to throw it away. PSH i kept it!!!

Since he gave it to me i haven't done anything with it so it was just sitting in a box in the corner of my storage unit since then. well i dug it out and started building it. and here it is!

Last edited:
more pics.

what i had to do for the exhaust because i didn't have a table vice or a pipe bender. so what i had to do was take some pipe and cut it into "v's" and turn and weld them at the angle i needed.

Last edited:
even more pics.

on the back you'll see i welded on brackets. that was because the rear axle kept sliding out. I tightened it down as much as I could but it would still slide out. and it makes me feel easier when i'm riding it, knowing that it isn't going to come out.

Last edited:
devoult, looks like its coming along nice. Nice fab on the exhaust. Depending on how / where you ride, there might be some tire\exhaust\seat slaming going on. Jump up and down on the seat to see if there's enough clearance between the tire and exhaust. Good lusk, keep us informed. :thumbsup:

Thanks i worked really hard on the exhaust. it doesn't move around a bit. i'm sure that i could pick up the motor by the end of that exhaust lol. For right now i'm going to get it into running shape and run it around the road and yard just so i can have some fun with it before it gets cold out, so there should be a few more pics coming along. This winter is when i'm going to tear it back down and all apart and clean everything up.

If i repaint i'm not sure what color i'm going to go for but i did have an idea. That was to strip off all of the paint in large sections and use my torch and discolor the metal and then use clear coat on the bare metal. that was one idea at leats.

And when i get home I have a few more pics to take, i am currently cleaing up the chrome fenders and i'm using this chrome polisher that i would like to show everyone. it works very very well, i was quite surprised!

Last edited:
lol sorry it's been a while been busy with work. soon i'll get a photobucket account and get the full res pics on here too and i've been too busy to work on the bike so that's why there's no updates. sorry everyone.

Ok here are some of the pics that i got lol finally got a photobucket account.

here's the bike all torn down. lol that's how i pulled it from the box.

checking to see even if the motor will fit lol. it does!

Standing on her own.

Original CVT. even the belt says RUPP on it.

Ok it's time for the exhaust. this motor was originally on a gokart so i just routed the exhaust back and out. well that didn't work for the mini bike so i had to make something else. I really liked the exhaust tip that came with it but it wasn't going to fit. I also didn't have a work bench or pipe bender. So what I had to do was make "V's" out of straight pipe that i had and this is what i came up with.

From the old gokart that I had, I had an torque converter by comet TAV2. it turned on that it wasn't going to work because of where the sprocket was on the TAV so i had to eventually take it off. But here it is anyway.

I was also running into an issue when the rear axle was slipping off because you can't get turn it too tight other wise the wheel won't spin. so i made some cups for the back to keep it from sliding out. that worked well but now what i was running into was the axle keeps sliding back and and forth and that would make the chain very loose and then fall off. lol so i welded up the chain tensioners, problem solved!

Update: while i was taking it for a joy ride around the block the nut from the driven clutch spun off and the spring got messed up and bent. the original CVT worked but just not well anyway and i was looking into replacing it anyway so i guess that this is my push. what i'm going to do is just replace the CVT with a clutch and then put a sprocket on the jackshaft of the driven clutch and call that one a day.

it's the spring it's all bent out of shape. i'll just have to save up and get another one is all but just for now i'm just going for the clutch.