1969 Rupp Sprint

I won this bike off an ebay auction over the summer because the price was right and it was close enough I could pick it up. I wasn't real sure what it was at the time but it was the era Rupp I've had my eye on. Thanks to the folks on here and some researching I determined it was a 1969 Rupp Sprint. It had been painted over several times but I did find bits of the original green paint. The engine is the correct Tecumseh 3HP but not the original one. A new clutch, new carb and some fresh gas and she made a great rider for the summer.

I reall wasn't sure what I wanted to do with the bike. Restoring the bike back to a correct Sprint didn't excite me. It's a plain bike, not the most desirable model, the chrome was mostly shot and 3HP is a bit lacking in power. My dad has recently started doing a re-restoration of his 1951 Ford F-1 truck. He restored the truck over 30 years ago and it is the process of redoing it to be more original. That major changes are replacing a wooden bed he built many years ago with a reproduction steel bed and painting the truck a more original green.

Truck cab back from paint.

As soon as the idea came to mind I knew I had to do it. I would paint my Rupp to match his truck. It would be a big improvement over the bikes current look but still look "classic". I had to hurry as I knew my dad was soon taking the final batch of parts to the painter and I wanted to get my stuff done at the same time so it all matched. I didn't want to tell my dad what I was doing yet. I got the bike broken down in one night. I sandblasted everything but the frame as it was too big to do in my dad's cabinet.

All the parts to be painted.

There was one spot on the frame where it must have cracked in the past and had welds built up on it. I ground that all down, welded it correctly and sanded it smooth.

The bike will be getting this Tecumseh H50.

I bought the engine just for the muffler because it's correct for my Montgomery Wards. The muffler will still go to that bike but a new carb and a few minutes of tuning and the engine runs great.

I got the parts back from the painter last week and I'm really happy with how they came out. This week I made some time and powdercoated almost everything except for the engine. I used mainly black and silver to match his truck but did the white to match his bumpers and grill.

My goal for this week is to get the engine painted and maybe even mounted in the frame. I have all stainless hardware coming for the bike. If that comes this week I can start doing some real assembly.

markus

cool project :thumbsup: will look good with the truck!! Ford did that with a concept ranchero for an auto show, They had some custom Rupps to go along with it, I think they are actually tricked out TT500's but the car was called a scrambler. Maybe that helped Rupp decided to use the "scrambler" name in the 1969 lineup :shrug:

Engine in primer

Engine in paint

Tomorrow I hope to put the engine pieces back together and powdercoat the shroud and recoil. It looks like all my stainless hardware is supposed to arrive tomorrow which would be great. I can then start assembling a lot of stuff over the long weekend. I still need to figure out a clutch guard as I never have one and an OEM one is most likely out of my price range.

A thought: if you think you can get the flywheel off without damaging the paint, the ring gear pops off in a jiffy with just a cold chisel and hammer. Otherwise, the color combo is awesome! The bike has FORD written all over it! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Great project for sure , wish I could be a fly on the wall when dad sees it the first time !
My dad actually knows about the project now. I thought it would be more fun for him to see the progress and I could get his help if needed. He hasn't seen the paint work in person yet but I sent him some pictures. I thought about waiting till he was done his truck but I thought that might be quite some time. I was over my parents Tues night and he's actually pretty close to having the truck done. I think he'll finish before me.

A thought: if you think you can get the flywheel off without damaging the paint, the ring gear pops off in a jiffy with just a cold chisel and hammer. Otherwise, the color combo is awesome! The bike has FORD written all over it! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I've actually considered putting an electric starter on. Probably not going to do it but for that reason I'm keeping the ring gear on for now.

Got my stainless hardware

Started assembly

Some pics of my dad's truck as he progresses

Right now I'm waiting on parts from 2 different vendors before I can assemble much more. I've also sent my seat foam off to Karen so she can match what my dad's seat is going to look like. I'm also in the process of stripping the powdercoat off my wheel centers which is a crappy process. I wasn't happy with how they came out so I tried to reclear them and while it fixed the orange peal they had they came out with a golden tinge as if they were burnt. I almost have the old powder chemically stripped off. From their I'll sandblast again and then powdercoat again.

I got both wheels and tires assembled. I decided to paint the lettering on my tires. It looked to have been painted from the factory but had seen much better days given they are almost 50 years old. I did a bit of reading on what to use and didn't come across and product that had rave reviews. I decided to use some Rustoleum white, oil based paint as I've found it to be a tough paint and I already have it. My biggest concern is it isn't flexible enough and will flake off easily. Time will tell. Worst case scenario it looks good sitting in the basement till it's warm enough to ride.

Painting them was actually much quicker and easier than I expected. I'm actually a decent painter but the raised lettering makes it even easier. I'm guessing that from the factory the paint was stamped on in some fashion and it's not perfect. My painting is as good or better than the factory painting so I think it looks pretty original. I'm pleased with how they came out.

Thank you, that's going to look great.

I bought this muffler and what I thought would be a cool looking deflector.

Turns out the deflector is meant for a different muffler and is way to small. I couldn't find a bigger replacement so I decided to make my own deflector.

At first I assembled the muffler with pipe fittings but even with the smallest fittings I didn't like how far it stuck out. i decided to cut everything shorter and just weld it together. That looked much better except because of the 45* angle I can screw it into the engine because the muffler hits the frame. I'm just going to use a bolt on flange. I buy these H series/Briggs flanges from OldMiniBikes. They are too wide so I just cut them in half and them welded them back together. I cut all the old pipe fittings off and welded the new pipe on. tomorrow I'll weld the flange on and then it's ready for powdercoat.

Mocking up a clutch guard last night.

Cut out of aluminum

Bent and welded up. I need to make the engine mount, finish sanding my welds and then it's ready for powdercoat.

The slots are inspired by the slots in the '51 Ford dash. The pic above doesn't show it real well but the guard really follows the shape of the frame and should look really nice when it's all done.

Goodies ready to go on.

Clutch guard mount installed

Chains installed

Coming together-clutch, chains, guard, carb, air cleaner, exhaust, wheels, tires and seat installed

Does any one know if I can somehow replace this fitting with a 90* fitting? I assuming it is pressed in but I'm not sure if it's replaceable. It would be very helpful for my fuel line routing if I could put a 90* fitting pointing up.