1st build, Sears Runabout

Hey guys. Picked up a clean Sears Runabout frame from Ray (Iron Honky) this weekend. Gonna be my 1st "real" mini bike build (I have done a few Puch mopeds and a bunch of old bicycles but vintage mini bikes are new to me!).

Apparently this thing had been someone's science fair project and was powered by a small electric motor & batteries at some point (thus the hilariously small plastic wheel/tire up front and the "control" plate on the frame.

So far the plan includes a Predator 212 w/stage 1 mods, band brake on the clutch, 6" Tri-Stars w/Carlisle sawtooths front & rear, & spun alum. tank on top of the frame. Going with a sort of café-racer theme. Probably gonna be a slow build over time, but I do hope to have it finished (or at least ride-able) by Windber.

Here's some pics of what I have to start with:
minibike01.JPG minibike02.JPG minibike03.JPG

capguncowboy

Ha, when I first saw your pictures, I hadn't read your post yet. I was really hoping you weren't going to keep that plastic dolly wheel on there.

I'm glad you went to Ray. He's a great guy to work with and always has some cool bikes priced right

Ha, when I first saw your pictures, I hadn't read your post yet. I was really hoping you weren't going to keep that plastic dolly wheel on there.

I'm glad you went to Ray. He's a great guy to work with and always has some cool bikes priced right
Haha yeah that little lawnmower wheel is already in the trash. Had a good time meeting up with Ray and shooting the breeze for a while. He's got some cool stuff!

Thought I'd hook him it with a good starter project. Post pics of your progress

Thanks guys! Just ordered up some parts for this one and my American Leisure from OldMiniBikes Warehouse. I love that they are so close, makes shipping cheap and fast. Might hit Harbor Freight this week to pick up a Predator 212 and some miscellaneous parts and tools (need some new disks and a wire wheel for my angle grinder). Stay tuned!

Thanks guys! Just ordered up some parts for this one and my American Leisure from OldMiniBikes Warehouse. I love that they are so close, makes shipping cheap and fast. Might hit Harbor Freight this week to pick up a Predator 212 and some miscellaneous parts and tools (need some new disks and a wire wheel for my angle grinder). Stay tuned!
Print the coupon , engines are $99 with super coupon till 2-28 !!

Well, just ordered $300 worth of parts from OldMiniBikes. Tough pill to swallow, but it'll be worth it! Ordered the new clutch band brake kit after seeing one at Iron Honky's shop, what a neat setup! 6" Tri-Stars, cheaped out and went with Azusa sawtooth tires. 12T clutch, 60T sprocket w/12.5" tires works out to about 27 mph @ 3600 RPM. Gonna keep the governor on the Predator.

Oh, and Chipper, I have the Harbor Freight coupon flyer in hand! Didn't make it this week but got Monday off. Will probably go then.

Well, just ordered $300 worth of parts from OldMiniBikes. Tough pill to swallow, but it'll be worth it! Ordered the new clutch band brake kit after seeing one at Iron Honky's shop, what a neat setup! 6" Tri-Stars, cheaped out and went with Azusa sawtooth tires. 12T clutch, 60T sprocket w/12.5" tires works out to about 27 mph @ 3600 RPM. Gonna keep the governor on the Predator.

Oh, and Chipper, I have the Harbor Freight coupon flyer in hand! Didn't make it this week but got Monday off. Will probably go then.
It's starting to get exiting huh !!

Minor progress. Parts came in, got throttle & brake lever on, grips & foot pegs, mocked up the clutch band brake assembly (what a well-engineered piece!). Hung front wheel (sorta). Silly me, didn't measure front axle holes and just assumed they were 5/8". They are 1/2". Gonna have to drill them out. Holes in rear plates are 5/8", but has flanged reducers pressed in to make them 1/2". Gotta get them out. Still need some spacers to get the wheels centered.

Sorry about the quality of the pics, using my phone in my basement shop. Lighting isn't ideal.

Bit of an update here. Picked up a Predator and got it stripped of the parts I'm not going to use (tank, exhaust, air filter) and set in the frame. It hangs WAY off the side due to the shape of the Runabout's lower frame rails. Considering drilling new mount holes in the motor plate, but I am limited in how far towards the center I can move it again by the frame rails. I can still get the heel my foot on the right peg without my leg touching the engine so my plan is just to get it running and riding with the engine where it is for now and maybe later add a different motor plate and a jackshaft to center the engine more.

Got the clutch band brake set up and bench-tested. Very well engineered and robust piece.

Couldn't resist hanging the wheels temporarily and setting it on the ground to get a feel for what it was gonna look like.

Still got a few things to work out, like wheel spacers, chain tensioner. Rear axle holes are 3/4" with flanged bushing pressed in to reduce them down to 1/2". Stock front axle holes are 1/2". Both of my wheels use 5/8" ID bearings. Gonna drill the fronts out to 5/8" and try to get the old 1/2" bushings out of the rear and install 5/8" ID flanged bushings. Also need to order the "Stage 1" kit for the predator and get that set up, then it should be ready to test ride (fingers crossed)!

Matt, rather than re-drill the plate, what about extending the left foot peg? My thought was to use 1" tubing, miter cut it and drill it (front to rear) so it would pivot/fold when cornering? Maybe a 5" extension? Bike looks great. I love the style of these. Check out my Psychobilly bike I'll never finish sometime lol. http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/p...chobilly-speedster.html?highlight=psychobilly
Feel free to post feedback good or bad on the clutch brake in the vendor section please!

Matt, rather than re-drill the plate, what about extending the left foot peg? My thought was to use 1" tubing, miter cut it and drill it (front to rear) so it would pivot/fold when cornering? Maybe a 5" extension? Bike looks great. I love the style of these. Check out my Psychobilly bike I'll never finish sometime lol. http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/p...chobilly-speedster.html?highlight=psychobilly
Feel free to post feedback good or bad on the clutch brake in the vendor section please!
The issue is not really the foot peg but the weight of the engine. With the engine slid all the way back in the slots I can just about get the arch of my foot on the peg without my leg touching the recoil housing. Slid all the way forward I can get my heel on it enough to rest comfortably. The only reason I'd consider moving the engine would be for balance & aesthetic purposes. You can feel the bike wants to tip over to the right side when you are sitting on it.

Dig the Speedster! Also like the name/story, "one piece at a time".

Nothing to report on this one, except that I have decided not to run the clone. Instead I have a little Craftsman Tecumseh H30 that will be much more appropriate for this style frame, and much less wheelie-prone. LOL!