3 Hp Briggs Flatty Need Help Adjusting Flo Jet

MassD

I recently picked up a 3hp Flo Jet Briggs and the darn thing wont idle. I dont know where the idle screw is and im not sure how to adjust it. Any good starting points for an all stock 3hp briggs?

Both adjustments should be gently screwed in until seated, then back out 1 1/2 turns. Once motor is started and warmed up, adjust high speed until it runs good. Then adjust idle for best idle.

There is a very small hole in the emulsion tube (circled green in pic). This is almost always plugged if a carb has been sitting a while. A very fine pin may be needed to open this hole. Make sure not to touch or scratch the threads on the side of the bore for the emulsion tube.

MassD

Okay i did 1.5 turns out and everything is clean but it wont seem to idle down. and i turned the idle screw all the way down and all the way loose and nothing

MassD

i cleaned the bowl the needle and seat the bowl and stuck the carb cleaner in all the oraphisis i could, i didnt take the emuslion tube out though

buckeye

Man that baby should work. Try 1 1/4 or just fiddle with it. Not much else it could be. You have good spark right? TRK would be able to tell ya. Hang in there. It will work.

It starts up and goes fine, it moves pretty well for a 3hp it just wont idle down! I turn the screw all the way in and it idles up and all the way out and it still does't idle down. I dont take it out but its out a lot, the thing should at least die out or something:confused:

If you took the bowl off without removing the emulsion tube, there is a chance you damaged the emulsion tube. Make sure it is in the slot on the inside of the carb. This end of the tube feeds fuel to the idle jet. If this isn't in the slot the idle screw won't do anything.

Last edited:
the best way is to take it apart and give a good cleaning using a piece of thin wire to clean out all the holes but a trick i use that works alot is take out the tube from the bootom of the bowl and clear it out with a compressor. this has worked quite a few times on a few generators i have done but if the carb is filthy it will have to be taken apart and cleaned