3 HP Briggs Oil Leak

I noticed that my 3 HP Briggs was leaking oil out of the seam of the crankcase. I figured it was a bad gasket. So I got a new crankcase gasket (thicker too) and put it all back together and filled her with fresh oil. I moved this little engine and noticed an oily footprint on the garage floor. It looks like it's still leaking. Any ideas?

bandit 40

I noticed that my 3 HP Briggs was leaking oil out of the seam of the crankcase. I figured it was a bad gasket. So I got a new crankcase gasket (thicker too) and put it all back together and filled her with fresh oil. I moved this little engine and noticed an oily footprint on the garage floor. It looks like it's still leaking. Any ideas?
I would of course look for a possible hair crack in the cover :confused:I had one with a hair crack going down the oil fill cap, which leaked like that!!, otherwise wipe it down and run it, looking for a leak should be easy to find:smile:

ViperR

Hey Alltorque,
Let me know where you find your leak. My 3hp B&S (just like your black one) is also leaking oil. Sometimes there is a pool overnight and sometimes just a few drips. Can't locate it yet.
Also, my model & SN are totally gone from my engine. Can you provide me with your engine info, so it will help on parts ordering? Thanks!
Vipe

ps: oops saw your info for model & SN. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Sometimes it's as easy as the oil cap leaking, I had to put an O-ring on one of mine.

When you changed the gasket did you get all the old gasket off and clean good? where the surfaces scratched? (some people use razor blades and screw things up . If it still leaks at the gasket somewhere, get a new one and put a light coat of high heat gasket stuff on both sides of the new gasket (lay it on wax paper) then install tight but don't torque the bolts all the way tight until the next day. (then add oil) :thumbsup:

It's definitely coming from the underside of the crankcase at the seam. When I pulled the cover, the old gasket looked to be in pretty good condition, was in one piece, and the sealing edges of the case and cover were really clean. I had a feeling it was gonna still leak after it was all bolted together:sadcrying4:. I didn't notice any hairline cracks or fractures. GTO, I think I might have to try your fix if I ever end up putting this thing on a frame. Something else that I found interesting was that when I laid the engine on it's side to clean and check underneath, the fresh oil started pouring into the carb and out through the air filter hole:doah:. So, I think I'll just concentrate on cleaning up the 4hp briggs. I gotta say it again, this place is a wealth of knowledge. Thanks again guys!:thumbsup:

125ccCrazy

I have a 3hp briggs that leaks too because it has a fine crack along the bottom of the block right in the corner, barely noticeable but it's a crack...