3 HP briggs starting problem

3v0

1986 3HP briggs model 82322. Dumped a little gas in the carb and turned it over with an electric drill and socket on the overriding clutch.
When the thing fired everything spinning would stop right now. Once I got it to run but it would not do it again. Just the stop thing.

Pulled the flywheel and the key was OK. So I lapped the flywheel to the crank and tightened the clutch with an air chisel holding the flywheel with my hand. I sanded some rust off the flywheel surface which passes the magneto.

Put the shroud back on and it started working. What was wrong with it ?

After that I cleaned the carb and gas tank. It is running well.

3v0

3v0

Maybe the air gap was reset to more of a proper diameter, now that some of the rust is gone?
Yeah I wish I had cleaned up the flywheel first and tried it. My goal is to better understand these guys rather then just get them running. Live and learn.

Last edited:
They're really very simple. Pull the wheel, clean the rust off outside diameter (as long as it doesn't touch the magneto, it's probably fine anyway), clean the points, set them to .010'', make sure the condenser is good, and voila. They usually pop as long as they have compression.

Check your spark plug lead & see that the insulation isn't cracked & allowing current to arc into the shroud/block.