3hp Valve Adjusting

weldkingoc

I dont have my book right now and i want to check valve lash and adjust it if necessary. Motor is a 66' ish 3hp briggs horizontal shaft. What is the setting suppose to be,? exhaust valve is on left im assuming? help!

Just remove the valve cover where the oil breather connects. On each valve, rotate crank until valve is fully open, then rotate crankshaft one full turn. Check clearance. Then turn crank again to check other valve. If clearance is too small, you will have to remove head and valve to file down valve.

weldkingoc

Just remove the valve cover where the oil breather connects. On each valve, rotate crank until valve is fully open, then rotate crankshaft one full turn. Check clearance. Then turn crank again to check other valve. If clearance is too small, you will have to remove head and valve to file down valve.
Check clearance where? Took cover of and don't remember being able to see bottom end of valve. I will have to look again.

It's in there.. :doah: It's coming down from the top, with a spring on it.. You need to measure the gap in between the bottom of the valve stem, and lifter, with a set of feeler gauges..

weldkingoc

It's in there.. :doah: It's coming down from the top, with a spring on it.. You need to measure the gap in between the bottom of the valve stem, and lifter, with a set of feeler gauges..
Yeah no sh@t lol saw the valves, just didn't remember seeing the bottom of em

Last edited:
I'm learning here, I searched and found this thread....*1 Point for the newbie!*
I read the entire thread.....NOW I have a few really STUPID questions on setting valve lash.
Here is my question, there should be a gap which is the "LASH" between the valve tip and the lifter WHEN the valve is fully closed, correct?
Man, I think I might be starting to learn!!! Took me a while...a good long while but I'm getting there, LOL!

Hell, I'm just as proud that I'm starting to get it as I am that I used the search function and found what I was looking for!!! That should be 2 points for a newbie, LOL!!!!!!

Good answer Jeep, guess that means I am going to be a Newb for a very long time. Seems everytime I learn something, I become smart enough to ask more questions.:confused: