5 hp flat head for my western flyer mini bike project

I've never built an engine before, although I am mechanically handy, however I need some help getting started.
Project: Early 70's Western Flyer mini bike

I was given a basket case 5 hp Briggs flathead engine that I would like to put together for the project.

My question:
a: How to identify what I have (age, etc) so I can get a manual.
b. How to get a god rebuild manual.

Any help would be great.

CarPlayLB

There are numbers stamped on the blower housing that will identify it. Post those up and we can decipher it for you...provided it is the original shroud!
Biggest issue is the old aluminum bore engines may have scratches in the cylinder and then the money train starts! Pop the head and take some pics for us. You really don't know what you have until you pop the head!
God never wrote any Briggs manuals, but Briggs did. It is near useless! I have one I use for some reference, but it is lacking in its approach.

I do have some parts hanging around. If you need something, let me know!

Before you get into the project I would make sure the engine physically fits, I have an MTD Western Flyer and the engine plate sits back quite a ways, they came with Tech engines origionally and I believe the Briggs 5HP tank will hit the rear fender, I have a Honda 5.5 on mine and it's close...........................Tom.

I've located the engine information as follows:
Model: 130232
Type: 0113-02
Code: 81121107

Best I can tell its 13 cu/in engine, manufactured on December 11, 1981 at assembly plant #07 (where ever that is)

So at this point I would like to find some specs for all the components so I can determine serviceability by measuring everything.

The engine came off a transfer pump that had a bad impeller - so the pump has already been removed.

Last edited:
CarPlayLB - Thank you for the "Check Chart" link, this will be very useful.
I'm surprised there's no size limits listed for the piston O.D. ? My thinking is that this is as-important as the cylinder wear limits.

The Briggs can use the frame mounted tank if you run the flo jet carb or a Tec carb....[emoji51]

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]

The Briggs can use the frame mounted tank if you run the flo jet carb or a Tec carb....[emoji51]

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]
"Minibikin" ---- can you explain to me in a little more detail which carbs would work for a frame mounted tank & Briggs engine ?
( I'm new )