5hp flathead performance kits

MCF2891

I have a flathead 5hp briggs thats beefed up pretty good but its not good enough for me. Where can i get a high performance racing kit for it that will make it go faster and run like a champ with out breaking the bank?

CarPlayLB

Nobody makes a "kit" per se, but OldMiniBikes has the best price on billet flywheels! They also stock the ARC billet rod. Turk Brothers Racing is where I bought my 94-SS camshaft. Get some billet stuff, a cam and some new springs...it will run good! Headers are cheap on eBay, and manifolds are there too. I use the China clone Tec carbs on a Tillotson manifold and they run pretty good!

Going fast is always expensive. I am also getting ready to run a knock off Tecumseh carb on a billet manifold. It'll be the first time I've done this. I just don't want to mess around with alky. However, alky will run cooler, cleaner, and give you a boost in hp. What kind of RPMs are you looking for?

I absolutely dislike the Tecumseh carbs, yet have had so many Tec powered bikes that I had to use a lot of them. Tuning is not impossible, but compared to that comparably priced Mikuni clone, they are a pain.

Why are you guys using Tec carbs? Ease of installation/mating with a manifold? Size? You'll never get the response you get from a Mik, not to mention the easier throttle cable hookup.

CarPlayLB

I absolutely dislike the Tecumseh carbs, yet have had so many Tec powered bikes that I had to use a lot of them. Tuning is not impossible, but compared to that comparably priced Mikuni clone, they are a pain.

Why are you guys using Tec carbs? Ease of installation/mating with a manifold? Size? You'll never get the response you get from a Mik, not to mention the easier throttle cable hookup.
The Tec carbs can be bolted on and a couple screws twisted and you're running. I don't have the knowledge to properly set up a Mikuni, otherwise that would be my choice. I dunno about all the jets and needles and that stuff! Dave, I am a simple man!

I went with the tecumseh because I didn't get much of a response to my question about which one is better. Hah! I think I ordered the Tec before anyone commented. I considered the Mikuni clone, but I have another Tec carb that I had played with, and zero experience with Mikuni. The carb did bolt up to the billet adaptor, but I think the Mikuni would have also bolted up to it. I did go with the Tec clone that has the adjuster screw in the bowl, so I hope to finally get the bike going soon. I'm waiting on my tank to come in. My other Tec clone (on my HS40) was awesome! I had it running well in no time.

I went with the tecumseh because I didn't get much of a response to my question about which one is better. Hah! I think I ordered the Tec before anyone commented. I considered the Mikuni clone, but I have another Tec carb that I had played with, and zero experience with Mikuni. The carb did bolt up to the billet adaptor, but I think the Mikuni would have also bolted up to it. I did go with the Tec clone that has the adjuster screw in the bowl, so I hope to finally get the bike going soon. I'm waiting on my tank to come in. My other Tec clone (on my HS40) was awesome! I had it running well in no time.
After I posted that question, I did a mental flash back to when I was tuning that Mik. I had several questions, and it wasn't as straight forward as any of the Tec carbs where you just turn a couple screws. Over time, I'd forgotten that angst.

Once I did figure it out, and got the right jet combinations, and most importantly got the right depth on the needle valve, the carb was simply great. No further tuning required, never needed fuel enrichment, started second pull, and the response was phenomenal. But yeah, it took awhile to get there. You definitely need a couple of different pilot and main jets laying around.

Thanks for the answers. Eric, I doubt you lack any of the skill required for this job, ya lazy bones. :laugh: And I know David could do it with his eyes closed.

The next time I do a flat head, and it warrants more carb, I'll go with a Mic clone again. To the OP, you might ask 125ccCrazy what parts he recommends, as I bought one of his engines, and that thing was a hot rod.