71 Rupp Driven Unit

Is there any special way one of these goes together? I can't find anything on the web. When we pulled the TC and the driven off the bike it all worked. Now I can't get it to work. I have checked the TC a bunch of times so I am thinking we did something wrong with the driven unit.

Is there any special way one of these goes together? I can't find anything on the web. When we pulled the TC and the driven off the bike it all worked. Now I can't get it to work. I have checked the TC a bunch of times so I am thinking we did something wrong with the driven unit.
I had mine put together wrong and kept throwing the belt. I will get you a picture in a few. I did figure it out. I don't know about clocking the spring 3 times but I didn't do that and it works like a champ. I put the spring in the center hole. Didn't notice what hole it was in when I took it apart.:laugh:

capguncowboy

I think clocking the springs is referring to winding the driven unit up before you tighten it down. If you don't wind it up, it won't grab the belt

Oops...ya sorry I am more of a hands on and not so great with words. But like capguncowboy said...you wind it 3 times for correct pressure for the driven clutch to engage. I haven't done one in a long time...but it is not fun. And Karen...I never heard of not doing it. Maybe a Rupp expert will weight in and give us the scoop.

Oops...ya sorry I am more of a hands on and not so great with words. But like capguncowboy said...you wind it 3 times for correct pressure for the driven clutch to engage. I haven't done one in a long time...but it is not fun. And Karen...I never heard of not doing it. Maybe a Rupp expert will weight in and give us the scoop.
"Wind it" which WAY? I would like to learn more about this.
Michael

"Wind it" which WAY? I would like to learn more about this.
Michael
Inboard sheave clockwise, outboard sheave counterclockwise (as you face unit). Buttons must be to the right of the peak. Think about it, when applying pressure to the spring, it forces the buttons deeper into the valley (move to the right). Is a Rupp unit so different???

capguncowboy

Inboard sheave clockwise, outboard sheave counterclockwise (as you face unit). Buttons must be to the right of the peak. Think about it, when applying pressure to the spring, it forces the buttons deeper into the valley (move to the right). Is a Rupp unit so different???
No, the Rupp driven units are almost exactly the same as the Comet units, at least in function anyway

markus

Maybe this will help a little,

you only preload these past the first ramp for tension. the thee holes are for fine tuning, one in the middle would be the "all around setting" the hole that will make the spring tension tighter when you assemble will make it engage at higher rpm, and the hole that makes it the loosest when assembling will make it engage sooner.

If the above scan does not come out legible enough just pm me your email and I will forward it, its an actual full size scan but photobucket does not let them blow up to full. Its from a mini bike service manual (like a chiltons for mini bikes, so info is vague and usually confusing :laugh:)

I never knew about the "winding' or "pre-loading" of the driven spring- I learned something NEW today! Thank you to all...
Michael