73 HD X-90 Piston Rings Question

1973 Harley Davidson X90 90cc <??

I am rebuilding one of these and broke the rings when assembling.

My parts list shows they are part # 22350-73 (standard size)
Since this is a stock engine that should be right # ???
Can't find them anywhere.

Now I do come across a set of 22350-67.....Anyone know the differance between the dash numbers? -67 VS -73

Ok how about this question..

Is there any other style / brand/ size that would be a good subistute?:shrug:

Vic32

Hey Revin try these 2 places Charleston custom cycle 217 345 2577, or Sonny's motorcycle repair 978 265 4158. I've got parts from Charleston for my x90, and 3 of mine friends and complete rebuilds done at Sonny's. Good luck:wink:

Ok ,Great! I will contact them on Monday.

The High priced is REAL!??!!? I saw some on Ebay just go for $125.00 for the pair!!!!
I wonder if a whole new piston ring combo would be the cheaper way?

I will call them and see what they have to offer, I am sure I am not the only one looking for them. ;)

Well I called everyone in the book (Sonnys and Charleston) and no way no how, do they have those rings.

One of the guys did say they are 48mm pistons and the rings are 48mm and then they go .2 oversized and .6 oversized. still no where to look for them.
Anyone with the exact dimentions of the standard rings?48 x ?

SO my question is........

Can it be as easy as finding another 48mm flattop piston and or rings from a honda or other make of bike?

Seems like no one has done that footwork yet?

Sure will be a pretty paperweight now I guess:censure:

Try typing "48mm piston rings' on Ebay, some interesting results? Also have you seen Ebay item 170963413811? If that won't work maybe the seller can locate what you need?

Last edited:
Bill, thanks for all that. I have been scanning Ebay for all the parts and asking the guys selling the motors if they still have the piston/rings, so far all say no.
Oh and look at the X90 motors for sale, seems that most do not come with piston.:eek:ut:

On the GREAT news.....I did find a piston and rings for $125 +shipping. got it!!
lubed it up and getting ready to install and BAM! broke the bottom ring. Then screwed up and the other ring broke! So I am back to square one for a while.
I willpost the shop name cause he said he had lots of pistons but no rings by themselves. He mostly deals with the Sprint rebuilds.
This guy also told me of someone using a Kaw ring but it needed to be cut and grind on to fit.( at this point I am very scared putting those rings in lol )

On a side note................
could someone tell me about the oil? I know 2 cycle oil, could I use the lawnmower kind? and the tank holds 1 qt. correct?

Now that I have the covers back on, do I add some oil to the motor crankcase( the little knob on top) and how much?:shrug:

are these a wet clutch system?

I promise to post pics this weekend for ya'll:smile:<<< New thread??

are you using a ring compressor? that sure sounds like a lot of rings breaking, just wondering how your doing it.
I would try and see whats on the market for 90cc engines and see what they have for piston type, pin height / size etc etc
may be as easy as using a set of rings from one of the other more common same cc size bikes.

hi TX PC,
Where were you when I needed a power coat for this bike? lol

ok here is the deal,( I really am embarrassed to say this) I started with the org. engne rebuilding the whole thing, got to putting the head back on (by myself) and NO ring compressor, I was thinking the piston is so small I could hold the rings by hand and insert. WRONG! that broke the org set that came with bike. Then FOUND a guy with the whole thing piston and rings for $125 ( I will post that later)
He said many have put the piston inside the head, hold with vise grips and put the head/piston assy. down on the studs and fit the wrist pin into the piston. sounded fine so I went for it.

Well I started back on the same road of no compressor AND tried to put it down from the top of the head this time. even used a hose clamp to see if it would work better than hand. NOPE!
Now I was looking and wondered....Is the head bore tapered?? I guess come in from th ebottom with the piston huh.

Well IF I do find another set, I will let a shop do it. Should not cost that much. I can't keep buying all the rare rings and breaking them for everyone:mad:

I also am going to search with th elawnmower shops around here for a 48mm ring and grind it to fit if possable.

Stay tuned, I am almost finished!! PC seat pan and gas tank, fix rings and let's go!!

if they use them on this motor, insert wrist pin clip in one side of piston only, then use the compressor and insert the piston from the BOTTOM of the cylinder, not the top (correct, it is tapered), leaving the wrist pin area exposed sticking out of bottom of cylinder. then remove the compressor, put rags and such around the rod to keep it centered and also to keep anything from dropping in the motor, like wrist pin and other clip, dont forget to install base gasket and lower it down over the rod and studs and insert wrist pin and clips, remove the rags then push the cylinder down over the piston.
As far as the powdercoating goes, been here long time :) doing show quality powder, there is a difference.
Tx Powder Coating

Last edited:
Got it! now to get them rings going! Thank you for the advise! I should have ask ya'll first.

Cut n shoot IS a town,I never heard of it but my coworker said yea little bitty town n. of Houston. I am in Austin. Dam is thata two tone powdercoat? sweet! I have just the simple eastwood gun, I am still learning but do not use enough to really get to your level! Dam me again for not checking on here 1st.

ok the nice gentleman that did have the piston/ring set was:

J& M Collectibles
new and used parts
Matt Grunden
If you need phone # pm me for it.

Still searching...........

There IS a simple solution. Stop wasting your time searching and read this:

I delt with exactly the same issue a few years ago. Looking for rings for an old Sachs with 46mm bore. I actually found the needle in the haystack TWICE but still no rings.
Sooooo what you do is contact Frank Bowman (ringmaster46"at"msn.com) and you will need to send him your piston and cylinder which hopefully is straight and round (I was lucky and actually had a NOS cylinder) and he will make you the rings you need for some crazy low price of like $12 a ring. I had him make me up like 6 sets and it was maybe $80. He had everything done AND sent back to me in less than 10 days and just emailed me the total $$$ AFTER I got everything back. Trust me you CANNOT beat that! SUPER nice guy and knows more about piston rings than anyone you will ever meet.

The Sachs I was doing was a 2 stroker obviously bastard size and had to have the ends ground where they meet due to the pistons having the pin in the ring grooves. EVERY ring he made was PERFECT. And the price, well you already know what parts can cost.

Anyway-take my word for it. Problem solved AND money saved. Such a deal. I should charge for this kind of information-B. Kraft :thumbsup:

BTW-You can thank me AFTER you deal with Frank.

WLB

Please forgive me if I am being too basic but since you have broken two sets of rings I will ask.

Does your cylinder have a chamfer at the bottom?

Are you getting the rings on the piston correctly so that the ends locate around the retaining pins (small pin on top or bottom of ring groove to keep the ring from rotating in the cylinder) Two stroke rings cannot rotate in the cylinder or the ends will be chopped off when they rotate to a port opening.

Are you using a piston ring spreader to evenly spread the ring when you install it on the piston. On a small diameter piston it is particularly difficult to expand it enough by hand.

If your cylinder has a chamfer on the bottom you should be able to install the piston on the rod with the rings on the piston and then (making absolutely sure that the ends line up with the retaining pins) compress the rings by hand enough to start them into the cylinder. Be gentle, work slowly and don't force the cylinder down over the piston if it appears to be stuck. Find out why it is stuck. Usually it is because the ring has rotated over the top of the pin. Further force will break the ring. You may have to rock the piston forward or back a little on the studs to get the ends of the ring start into the cylinder smoothly.

I am sure I have installed several thousand two stroke pistons as described above and the few rings I have broken have been because I allowed the ring end to rotate over the pin or allowed the end to pop too far as I put the cylinder over it. I have never had any luck putting the piston into the cylinder first and then trying to install the piston on the rod or using a ring compresser on a two stroke engine.

Hope this helps.

ATK, I like how easy that sounds! Sorry I did not see the post eariler. I am on to something right now and will consider him soon.

Yes Wiseco is on the list on places to check.
Problem is I went local looking and may have found some from a honda

WLB, What can I say. I screwed the pooch on this one twice!

Leaving the piston ON the rod does seem the way I should have gone, and I did. Failure occired when I thought I could do it with out a ring compressor. Never really had any ring off the piston, stock one stayed on and new came with all put together.
But I hear what you are saying and a normal "Me' would have done it correctly that way. like I said stupid ME:cursing:

Funny thing was at the dealer, the guy prints out this very thread!!! Says huh have you seen this? I told him yeah that's me Revin! I could not stop laughing!!
He was great! he looked up an old honda bike with very close rings, they are on order. stay tuned....

Don't worry guys, I am letting a real pro put it together this next time.lol

WLB

Revin, stupid and inexperienced are two entirely different animals. It's never stupid to try to accomplish something. Many decades ago when I put together my first two stroke engine I was lucky enough to have someone give me a few tips. Don't give up, just practice on something easier and cheaper to find rings for:smile::smile::smile: