79 Z50R Questions

MWKE

Good Morning,,,

New here and have a few pictures for you to look at... This was given to me over the weekend. Brought back some memories for sure. My buddy paid 25 bucks for it at a yard sale 15 or so yrs ago and it has been sitting like this ever since. Thought my youngest (10) and I would have a good time bringing it back to life. It is one of those Ran when parked deals...But never verified..some of the stuff on it isnt stock and not sure if it is Hondaline or homemade. Anyway, take a look and let the comments Fly!!!!
Thanks,,,and BTW...GREAT SITE!!!

zeeman

There are some things that are not original, but those Honda 50 engines are pretty bullitproof. I'd start by just getting it running, and then take on a restoration if you want. Welcome! There are a few Z50 owners on this site. PlantetMinis has tons of information on them.

MWKE

Thanks for the fast reply....

I know there are things that are not original. Just curious if they are home made or Hondaline or some other company that produced for instance the rear Cafe thingy and seat..

As for getting it running...Im sure it will...Right after I do a Frame up...LOL!!! Ive never done a mini...Just my old Trikes...:thumbsup:

Thanks again,,,

zeeman

It's definitely a Honda. The tank looks like it might be off a Honda Elsinore (one of the small ones), and could be worth a little. I'm not sure how rare those tanks are, but the small Elsinores are collectable. The Cafe part is not original. Honda never made a fifty with a seat like that and imported it to the US. The shifter would not have had the heal part, and the number plate would be more rounded. The bars could have come off the Elsinore, because the grips look right for the Elsie. The front fender looks right, the rear has been bobbed. Chain guard is correct. Those are my first impressions. PMinis.com

tank is off a mr50 honda, seat looks home made? or chopped off of something else. The shifter is mabey off a honda scooter? Bars look newer? I would ride it just like that i like it. So many people restore them and your gonna spend a ton to get it right. just enjoy it!

MWKE

tank is off a mr50 honda, seat looks home made? or chopped off of something else. The shifter is mabey off a honda scooter? Bars look newer? I would ride it just like that i like it. So many people restore them and your gonna spend a ton to get it right. just enjoy it!
Thanks,,,,Several people over at PM think it is a 74 MR50 Tank..'

I kinda like the look of it. However, I dont think I would be able to ride it like that..My son will fit..We will see...Still gonna take it down to nothing and rebuild it...

Tank is, without a doubt, from a Daytona Orange 1974 MR50 K0. That was the only year for that color. Heel-Toe shifter was common on the old school Honda Cub 50 cc bikes (called Honda C100) and some other street-oriented models.

That style of the Z50 R ran from 1979 thru 1987 with only slight visual differences from year-to-year. The 1979 was sort of unique due to the fact that the handlebars were slightly higher than the 1980 through 1987 models. Too bad the original ones are missing from your bike. Also, the 1979 did not have a number plate that covered part of the muffler (on the right side of the bike). 1980 through 1987 all had a plastic number plate in that location.

All the cafe racer stuff has been added to the bike. I am not aware of any commercially available items like that, so I would guess that someone fabricated those parts.

MWKE

Tank is, without a doubt, from a Daytona Orange 1974 MR50 K0. That was the only year for that color. Heel-Toe shifter was common on the old school Honda Cub 50 cc bikes (called Honda C100) and some other street-oriented models.

That style of the Z50 R ran from 1979 thru 1987 with only slight visual differences from year-to-year. The 1979 was sort of unique due to the fact that the handlebars were slightly higher than the 1980 through 1987 models. Too bad the original ones are missing from your bike. Also, the 1979 did not have a number plate that covered part of the muffler (on the right side of the bike). 1980 through 1987 all had a plastic number plate in that location.

All the cafe racer stuff has been added to the bike. I am not aware of any commercially available items like that, so I would guess that someone fabricated those parts.
You guys sure are up on your stuff...Kinda like me with ATC's...This is a whole new realm for me and I really appreciate your input!!!

On another note...Im not sure I like that Tail...And If I put a Stock seat on there Im not sure that Tank will "Match" it...I have another project in the garage in front of this one. But I have to look at it every day...LOL!!

Thanks for ALL the info people!!!

Ok,,,,With a Carb Clean this thing fired right up!!! However,,,,The petcock is leaking,,The little plastic bowl is cracked...I havent been able to find a replacement....Its a weird one that I havent seen...The Z50 Replacements will not fit..The Tube that goes inside the tank is too large.

Also,,,That Carb is OLD... I think late 60's..Not sure what its off of....

Bottom line....I havent spent anything on this little guy and my 10 yr old would rather ride this than his quad...LOL!!!

Thanks in advance for any info you can come up with....

Neck

Growing up is optional
You should be able to buy a new one, either from a Honda dealer or off ebay. A lot of bikes use the same thread and diameter on their tank bungs.

MWKE

Really??? Has it been almost a yr since Ive been here!!!! Just wanted to post an update and ask another question...

The Honda runs and runs great!!!! My son rode a tank through it and it has been parked again for almost a yr... LOL!!! Want to thank everyone for all your help. It was appreciated...:thumbsup:

Ill ask my question in another thread not related to this one...