97cc clutch mod

OK, I think most know about the black spring. If you don't, do a search and it will come up, and you can read about it.

I don't recall seeing a post about changing out the shoes. I just did a quick search and found nothing, so I am adding this information.

The shoes that come in the OEM 97cc clutch, a MaxTorque knockoff, are "wedge shoes". "SS" shoes are available that are lighter and give a little more slip, maybe 200 to 300 more rpms. SS stands for "six shoe" clutch. So, with the black spring and SS shoes you are pretty close to 3000 rpm lockup, which is just about perfect.

Don't worry about the clutch. With only 2.8hp (I think these clutches are rated for up to 8 or 9hp) and a little oil on the hot bushing after a ride, you will never wear out the clutch. I have the black spring with the lighter SS shoes installed on 2 of my stock engines and really like it.

You can get a set of 6 SS shoes for about what the black spring costs. So, for less than $15 to $20 (cost me about $14 for spring/ shoes plus shipping which was free) the little engine will sing on take-off. :thumbsup:

I put a tach on my engine and have about 2,000 usable rpms. With governor still working I have it set to max out at approx 5,000, just turn out the governor adjustment screw. That gives me plenty to work with and works very well, thank you. :thumbsup:

Again, I have 2 set-up this way, works great, no problems. :smile:

iScream

I put a tach on my engine and have about 2,000 usable rpms. With governor still working I have it set to max out at approx 5,000, just turn out the governor adjustment screw. That gives me plenty to work with and works very well, thank you. :thumbsup:

Again, I have 2 set-up this way, works great, no problems. :smile:
Could you post a how to?

Well, I guess so...

1st, pull the clutch and disassemble. Next, reassemble with black spring and SS shoes, takes 1 black spring and 6 SS shoes.

Good video on how to assemble Max-Torque clutch Yahoo! Video Detail for Max Torque Clutch Assembly Video

I don't think OldMiniBikes sells the black spring or SS shoes or I would buy there. I got my Max-Torque parts at APS (American Power Sports). Can also get black spring at HotRodMinibikes, but not SS shoes as I recall. APS can be expensive with small orders, $25 minimum order and shipping. Search the web for Max-Torque SS shoes, maybe you can find a better place to buy they. :shrug:

If that's not enough info, ask again. :smile:

You can actually get a stiffer spring or cut 3 limks of the black spring to do the same thing.
When you call for the black spring just ask for an even stiffer spring for higher RPMs.
You still have plenty of RPMS

Try your black spring before cutting it. After you cut it, the problem will be to install it, very hard to install IMO. Or, for a test, cut 3 turns off the stock spring and try to install it. That will probably cure you of wanting to do that again. :smile: