98cc Lifan wont start

Took carb apart, nothing there. Checked for spark, good. It's got gas in it and it's getting to the carb. I did run it in the rain a bit the other day, could I have clogged the valves doing that? I'm at a loss here. If the valves are clogged, can they be cleared easily? Need help, it's on a motorized bicycle and it's my transpo to work and back. Only a mile, but I hate pedaling. Any ideas?

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
I've learned that just because you have spark when the plug is out side the cyl does not say you have it inside the cyl.

Compression can snuff a bad spark plug ( that has spark ).

I have an OLD School Garage spark plug cleaner / tester. I got it for doing snowmobile spark plugs. It will sand blast the spark plug clean, then you thread the plug into the tester, You pull a lever and it puts air pressure into the tester ( simulating cylinder pressure ) at the same time providing spark to the plug.

IF it sparks under these conditions, its good to use. If it did not you would chuck it. I found out that even though it would spark outside the cyl, it would not under pressure.

It was neat to learn.

Here is the type that I have and photo links to other types

Last edited:

trinik7597

you killed it :thumbsup: not even going to say i told ya so :laugh: in all seriousness my sons db with stock engine has gone through a couple plugs too get a ngk for it :thumbsup: hey gm how many miles a week do you put on that little thing :shrug:

I've learned that just because you have spark when the plug is out side the cyl does not say you have it inside the cyl.

Compression can snuff a bad spark plug ( that has spark ).

I have an OLD School Garage spark plug cleaner / tester. I got it for doing snowmobile spark plugs. It will sand blast the spark plug clean, then you thread the plug into the tester, You pull a lever and it puts air pressure into the tester ( simulating cylinder pressure ) at the same time providing spark to the plug.

IF it sparks under these conditions, its good to use. If it did not you would chuck it. I found out that even though it would spark outside the cyl, it would not under pressure.

It was neat to learn.

Here is the type that I have and photo links to other types

thats an Awesome piece right there.:rockon:
i can see one of those in my garage someday.
old tools are still good tools.

You rode in the rain, right? You may have water in your gas. Water is heavier than gas, so it goes to the bottom of the gas tank and is 1st to go to the carb. Then it goes to the bottom of the carb bowl and is 1st to go into the engine, then the engine doesn't run. :shrug:

Try draining your gas tank from the bottom, then drain the carb from the float bowl. Catch the gas and look for water. It's easy to see, doesn't mix with gas, will be at the bottom.

I'll check the gas for water when I get the bike home. It's sitting at work with a flat tire right now. Gotta go change it tomorrow and pedal it home. Work is a mile from my house, so 2 miles round trip and I usually work 3 or 4 days a week, so 6 to 8 miles a week right now. I may be getting a nearly new engine for the cost of shipping. I know this one may still be ok, but I'll probably just keep it for parts. Maybe get the head milled, who knows? I will check the gas for water before running the replacement engine. I will also invest in a higher quality spark plug, anyone got any part numbers for plugs? I've run ngk plugs in other engines, they are very good. Just need to know which ngk plug is compatible, or which bosch plug. Thanks guys.

I'm not using an ngk plug now, using the plug that I guess came with the engine? Engine was used when I got it, so I don't know if it's the original plug or not. Could be. So I was wondering what ngk plug will fit?

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
As far as I can find out NGK BR6HS 0.6mm - 0.7mm gap.

If this info is correct ??? I'm not familiar with Lifan engines.

Best plugs out there ( in my opinion )

#1) Bosch
#2) DENSO
#3) AUTOLITE
#4) AC Delco
#5) NGK

Other than knowing and trying it, Ac Delco works Awesome in Snowmobiles ! and I used to swear by NGK !

Now its Bosch or Ac Delco for me.

Last edited: