acheiving higher compression

cncd11

i will be purchasing a clone for one of my projects and want to run e85, to take full advantage of the fuel where should my compression be at and what timing should i run. i will be using a tillotson 368 a carb. oh and what cam also do you guys recommend:scooter:

i wouldn't go too nuts with it since E85 only has an octane rating of 100-105.

i'm planning on running about 12.4:1 CR when i redo my clone and it's going to need 110 at that point (from what i've been told/read).

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
The problem with running E85 is that it's in the middle of gas, and alky. Alky gives you a power advantage of 1.2 x gas. E85 is about 1.1 x gas, but require you to run 1.5 more fuel than gas, and alky is a 2.0 ratio.

That carb is a alky carb so it will be slightly rich on E85, but you should be able to lean it out a bit to have it run correctly.

65ShelbyClone

E85 is a cost effective alternative to race gas and in many areas is easier to find than methanol. Unfortunately it is difficult to know the exact percentage without either guessing or using some expensive measuring hardware.

I think a GX200 running E85 would probably be able to handle 12:1 without any trouble. My XR600(air-cooled + 100mm bore + hemi chamber + low torque peak = octane sensitive) is really borderline on 91 with 10.5:1. The beauty of alcohols is that they are quite forgiving with regard to the air:fuel mixture, so it takes a really big error in jetting to make the engine run badly.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
I have been reading on 4cycle and a lot of guys are starting to run this E85. I guess it all depends on where you live. Out here there is more that runs pure methanol than gas.