Adjusting brake cable

OK Im almost completely done with rebuilding my Bonanza (pictures soon when my girl loads them on photbucket) but first got a quick question. I put the new brakes on, by the way the repro stuff sucks, anyway when I installed the cable it was pretty long so I cut the outer housing and cable but when I put the cable on the drum set up and squezzed the lever its real sloppy and then its just loose. It seems the outter housing just slips right off the cable and the lever. Should I have not cut the outter housing? Anyone can explain the correcty way to adjust the brake cable and lever. Seems it should be super easy. This is obviously a user error but where am I screwing up at? My brake is also scrubing insdie the hub but only in a certain spot. Is there a typical trouble shoot for this? Like the brake screw is too tight?

Specs is 5" drum brake, Bonanza 1100, trypical 1" brake lever assembly.

Will post pics soon. Must say it looks pretty cool.

Thanks

Does anyone know how to adjust the brakes on a Bonanza drum set up. New brakes that arent grabbing? Ive searched and havent found a reason why they arent.

hahah and we have a winner. I work out of town and was thinking of this last night and then it hit me. The previous owner did some serious back yard welding and goofy crap going on that I now remember. I sisnt run it through the anchor on the frame. Now my set up isnt like the picture above but I do like that set up. I wont be back home till thursday but Im going to get my girl to post those pics on photobucket so I can get them up. Please know this is my first ever rebuild.

Yeah I have the hardtail but the prvious owner welded this piece of crap on the bottom but I had cut that off. Im not suer why my pic wont come back up either. I will update this on a new thread with the build pics.