Adjusting "Fun Power" governor?

MKW

I have been searching thru lots of threads trying to find some direction, but have not been able to find answers.
Anyway, I have a 5hp Briggs Fun Power on a go kart. Everything is hooked up correctly, but the engine never seems to make it to the 3600 RPM max that it is supposed to allow. I'm just looking for tips or tricks to get the maximum rpms out of this motor with the governor in tact...removing it is NOT an option. I adjusted the governor shaft all the way clockwise with throttle held in wide-open position...is this the best way?

Mike

OHHhhhhhhhh man, those things are tricky.. If ya cranked it and know where it's at, at least, you can mark the position of the slot in the rod, to the arm itself, and start rolling it back some..

With the engine not running, you SHOULD be able to pull the throttle slider thing wide open, and the throttle plate on the carb should jump wide open, if you get it way too tight, alot of times you can't even achieve wide open on the carb with it not running.. If so, it's way too tight..

BEST way to do em I guess once it's been messed with, is just go in real small increments.. REALLY small.. like 20'ths of a turn or something, just barely see it's moved..

Start it, run it, see what it does....

You can do em when they are running but thats real tricky.. Gotta have your box end wrench holding the nut just barely loose.. Then your flat screw driver in the other hand.. TRY to give it and everrr so slight tweak within the arm, without the arm moving at all :doah:

USUALLY the arm wants to wiggle around and the engine will rev way up and ya go OH MY god, and crank it back down, then open it back up, and pretty soon it's playing bucking bronco.. :laugh:

I'd unhook the chain, unhook the throttle system from the machine, so it's just you and the motor....

Then, depending on your skill level, decide whether or not to run it and adjust, or start and stop method... make sure theres a return spring pulling the main throttle back to zero.. So you can adjust, hit the throttle..

Nope, thats not it :hammer:

nope, thats not it, :hammer:

until it is it... :thumbsup:

OH!!!! And always remember to snug the nut back up before testing the motor.. Try it...

Nope, loosen the nut barely, adjust it, tighten it, try it, nope, thats not it... :laugh:

Last edited:

MKW

Wow...you were not kidding about that governor shaft adjustment being sensitive! I adjusted it what I thought was just a tiny bit and that thing ran like a bat out of Hell. Finally, I got it just right and the kart gained 3.5mph on my GPS. Good enough...thanks!

Mike

jim210

Just like philip said.. readjust the governor rod like you had it then use the spring to increase your rpm. The governor won't have as much tension on the throttle shaft at idle if you adjust the rod. Adjust the rod like you did before so that the engine goes back to idle correctly. Then just bend the tab that the governor spring is connected to get the rpm increase you want. Ypu can also put the spring in a different hole on the governor arm if you still need more but bending the tab is fast and should be enough.

The only time you have to adjust the governor rod is when it slightly wears over the years or when somebody messes with it

Last edited:
......the kart gained 3.5mph on my GPS. Good enough...thanks!

Mike
Hey Mike...speaking of GPS...:laugh:...I did not see an introduction page, so am replying here....

Welcome to the OldMiniBikes from another South Carolinian !

I live one block from the Murrells Inlet zip code here in the south end of Myrtle Beach.

As far as I know, you are about the closest member to me. Folks on here are always trying to get together to ride, but are usually spread so far apart, that it's challenging.

That said, let's try to get together sometime and swap notes, and stories, and lies, and maybe even ride some. So send me a PM, and we can exchange contact info if you want.

And again, welcome to the OldMiniBikes.

RobertC