Adjusting the idle on a Predator?

Hello all.

I picked up a new 212cc Predator engine recently to run in an old mini-bike of mine.

I loosened the throttle arm nut, and hooked up a throttle, but I can't seem to get the dumb thing to idle.

The engine engages the clutch even when idling, and it idles quite high. I can't seem to find an adjustment screw anywhere.

Am I missing something? Is there an idle stop / adjustment on these engines?

looking from the back side of the engine, find the carb. now looking on the top of the carb find the throttle valve. there will be a screw that when turned in, highers the idle, and turned out lowers the idle. you need to pop the cover off the screw (weird) and use a phillips head screwdriver to loosen it. hopefully that solves the problem.

if you cant figure it out, ill go snap a pic for you

I've been trying to figure this out glad you had the pictures. So I've turned the screw and the idle does not change it still idles at 5mph.

Last edited:

cct

Yea I've had the same exact problem on my engine and I did all the steps checked the throttle cable twice lowered the adjust screw nothing helps still idles at a high speed

I think I did. The governor arm needs a spring to close the throttle butterfly. I just bought a predator and I noticed it wasn't opening and closing the carb butterfly all the way so I messed with the governor set up and now it closes and opens all the way

I was wondering and extra spring would help. I noticed my butterfly wasn't closing too. What happened to the spring that surrounded the governor linkage and attached to the butterfly? Thanks for the pic.

The small spring that's helping the governor arm is the spring. I was just messing with it but I'm going to remove the governor and finally slap this thing on my minibike I hope during this weekend coming up. I'll receive my billet flywheel and I'm going to try to clearance the rod also before I fire it up.

What if u got an extra spring closing the butterfly and ur screw is out as far as u can and it still idles like a beast any one know bc thats where im at

I would also love to know the answer to this problem. I have a predator 420cc and a comet 40 series TC the driver engages at current idle speed. Ahhhhhh as you can tell by the time stamp this is keeping me up at night.!!!!!:doah::doah:

I'm not the necro poster, but contributing to the delinquency of a necro post...

I'm having this problem of high idle on my 208cc clone.
Carb screw is all out, everything is clean and motor is brand new.
Starts and cranks up pretty high. Can push the gov arm forward and the idle drops where it should be.

Do I loosen the gove arm and turn the gov rod to adjust the idle?