Advice on Replacing Rupp Seat cover.

Just wondering if anyone has replaced there Rupp seat covers. I bought one from ebay and it came with some button things that you apparently push through the fabric and then bend the tabs on the other side of the seat pan to secure them. Do you drill out the old snaps on the metal seat pan and push these through? Any advice how to go about pushing these through in the right spots? I don't want to mess up on the first try so asking for some experienced help.

Thanks in Advance.

capguncowboy

I'm glad you asked this. I ran into this issue when I redid my 1970 Roadster, and because I wasn't entirely sure on the proper way to do it, made a bigger mess than needed.

First off, while your snaps are still on the seat pan, install your new cover like you would if you were snapping it in place. Pull it down snugly over the seat pan with the cushion installed and mark each spot with a gold or silver colored marker (makes it easier to see the mark later). Then remove the cover and install the snaps. You can buy a button snap tool on Amazon or at any craft store for about $15. Just line them up over the holes and press them into place. Because of the nature of the vinyl, getting them exactly right isn't really a problem. Once it stretches a little, no one but you will ever know they might be off 1/8". As long as they're snug, they'll look fine.

If you replace the snaps on the seat pan (and I wouldn't unless absolutely necessary), be sure you buy the right size. I made the mistake of buying a size too large for my seat pan, and ended up having to remove them and start over. To remove the old snaps, I used a dremel with a grinder wheel and ground away the backs of the snaps from under the seat pan. They just fell out. I tried without success to install the new snaps using the standard back. The problem is that the back portion didn't have a long enough neck to reach the inside of the front portion and still have enough lip on it to grab it when mashed down. I ended up using a riveter on them. I put both the front and back of the male portion of the snap onto the seat pan and mashed them down, then put a rivet through the center. This helped make sure they were nice and tight, and wouldn't come off later.

Last edited:
It sounds like you have the wrong seat snaps. There is a tool that secures them to the seat. Like Andy said, if the snap part is good on the seat pan, leave it alone. They will last forever. If I have time later, I will take a picture.

capguncowboy

I bought one of those covers last October and once I got the snaps installed, I was pleased with the quality. In fact, that's what I put on my 70 Roadster in this year's build off.

The snaps that I used were from Michael's Art supply store (The Hobby Lobby's snaps were the wrong size). The correct size is 5/8" or 15.8mm in diameter

Last edited:
I bought one of those myself. Cant beat it for the price and pretty nice.
I'll do the snaps for you if you want to ship it to me. Those snaps cost me 1.00 each and there is 8 of them. Plus shipping back.:thumbsup:

I bought one of those covers last October and once I got the snaps installed, I was pleased with the quality. In fact, that's what I put on my 70 Roadster in this year's build off.

The snaps that I used were from Michael's Art supply store (The Hobby Lobby's snaps were the wrong size). The correct size is 5/8" or 15.8mm in diameter
Thank you for taking the time to respond and the valuable info. That's one nice Roadster. I hope my Hustler comes out looking half as nice.

buckeye

I have one of those covers too on a abused neglected Scrambler.
Haven't done the snaps yet. Still ignoring it for pis sing me off.:hammer:

Those snaps I got from EBay were not the exact right size, so I ended up replacing all the male parts on the seat pan and then installing the females on the seat. Turned out good though.