Aftermarket CVT kits

Incase you have not heard Comet industries has closed. They may reorganize or not I don't have any information.

So is there another kit like the TAV 30 out there or does anyone have any tips or tricks to adapt something else to fill the void the loss of this product has created?

I hear Baja has a CVT on some of the dune buggies but its based on the GY6 I think....

GY6 is a Scooter engine that Honda made and is copied by the Chinese company's. The engine block in casted into the TAV case. I do not think it would be a very easy to adapt the TAVs out of those and bolt them up to a standard type engine we use on our minibikes.

Having been a Baja service center for years my advice is to stay away from the China copy of the tav2 comet. I have yet to see one that has not been a habitual belt eater, Along with having bearing problems, variator and drive pulley issues. TC systems are belt users anyway. That is why you see a back up belt under every snow machine hood.
But the china TC is just horrible in the Karts. A mini bike may have better luck. I don't know.. But I just would not mess with it myself. I have done several mods to them and used the comet belt instead of the china belt to make them work and last a little longer. But they still have issues. I would bet that there are hundreds of Baja Sand dog 6.5 go karts sitting out behind garages rusting because they won't hold a drive belt. Maybe if Baja would have worked a deal with our American born Hoffco Comet Co to use there original TC on the Karts instead of trying to steal/copy the design the karts would have happy owners and Comet still in business. Comet has been a qaulity go to company for years for Kart-mini bike tc and clutch systems.
I have to admit I am some what hypocritical. I like low prices and the ability to have all these cheap toys and parts for people to play with. But If you stop and think about the real cost of it later you wish you could have been able to buy a quality US made product to support our country. I often wonder what would happen if China put all the companies out of business that they are stealing product design from and had to come up with there own Idea's. Anyone else ever google'd around and looked on trade sites at some of there Hair-brained stuff? Motorized roller skates and such. WHaT THe *%#! There are so many China based companies selling products designed to be eye catchers in a picture but built so cheap they break in half before you can even get them out of the box. And as far as the china Mini Bike-Kart, ATV importing goes, The goverment is not doing a very good job at enforcing laws to make them accountable for supplying repair parts and service centers to the poor customers who were lured in with the low price. I'll bet if we actualy knew how many china built powersport toys are still operative after there first 6mo of there life we would all be shocked.
Sorry to those who might think I am rambling on....I guess this is a long post because I am bummed about loosing Hoffco Comet. I hope they can re-organize and still stay alive.
I hope Azusa is not next.

BMI is a local company that makes minibike parts themselves , Maybe they will pick up the tooling to build them again ? Anyone that has been to BMI knows they have the room to do it ..

ProMod that is the best post I have read here in a while.

I fully suport my American friends and make an effort to buy US made along side quality made Canadian, and EU products.

We can't keep giving away out jobs and companies to the lowest bidder, or we will end up the lowest bidders working for 3rd world wages at foreign controled companies

Promod is correct!

I must concur with Promod on these issues. Critical issues at hand are being disregarded in third world countries and they are not held accountable for their actions. Our economy sucks because we have imported so many goods and services we have euthanized our own people without regard to common sense.

Comet industries; is only one company. Therefore, I must agree..We did it to ourselves..

We need to take a real hard look at where our last dollars in the world we have, goes??

TT :thumbdown: :sadcrying4: :censure: :eek:ut:

I thought you said you had 10 Snow machine CVTs.

So these have back plates and bolt to Honda's?
Unless I am mistaken the 340 is justa primary and secondary you have to fab everything else including a jack shaft
The TAVs just bolts on.

Last edited:
You luck out big time if you got all 10 of those for a 100 bucks. Are they set up for a 4 stoke engine rpm engagement. Check your spring and roller colors on those to tell rpm.