Alpha Machine Tool minibike

Bikerscum

Well, despite Cheezy saying I should buy it, I bought it anyway :laugh:

The story is the seller's cousin built it back in the '60's. He's now been moved to an assisted living/extended care sort of thing & they are charged with clearing out his shop/warehouse. Says he was a machinist & he built it. I dunno, maybe. Sure looks well made.... if true he can weld a lot better than I can.

I wonder if it was a commercial prototype for something that never materialized? All of the components seem to be period correct for the time frame.

It has an old school H60 (maybe one of you can ID the year?), and torque converter drive. Has 8" rear & 6" front. Seat looks commercially done.

Looks like it could be a great rider... (the oil underneath is from it laying on it's side on the way home)

Wait for it......wait for it.....wait for it.....TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink:
I actually seen one before....I just can't find the pic.

Definitely has the refined look of a production bike...even if the production numbers were small. Whatever it is it's cool. Hard to read the serial number since you can't click on the photos to enlarge them :glare:....but it looks like maybe '68. Mikuni carb?

Go Power II Wheels are neat....is that a 5" in front and a 6" in the back?

I'm glad you got the bike. Its a shame you couldn't get more of the story behind the bike. Maybe the guy worked for the company.:wink: Maybe prototype..........did you say that.:laugh: Great score:thumbsup:

Bikerscum

Definitely has the refined look of a production bike...even if the production numbers were small. Whatever it is it's cool. Hard to read the serial number since you can't click on the photos to enlarge them :glare:....but it looks like maybe '68. Mikuni carb?

Go Power II Wheels are neat....is that a 5" in front and a 6" in the back?
Here's (hopefully) a better pic of the engine plate...

[/URL][/IMG]

The front is a 6", the rear is 8" but a steel wheel. Kinda hard to see under the covers. I'll post some higher res pics when I get a little time.

6doggie3

Glad you picked it up! I all most called but thought You might change your mind and didn't want to piss you off congrats!!!

Bikerscum

Glad you picked it up! I all most called but thought You might change your mind and didn't want to piss you off congrats!!!
Thanks, on both counts. The seller said there were a lot of calls, luckily I was close by. Sure looks big next to my Lil Indian :laugh:

markus

That thing is way cool, and in really great looking condition :thumbsup: I went form never seeing those Krizman spark arrestors before for this type of application to like 3 of them in the past month!!! Lot of neat things about that bike!!!!!

Bikerscum

Spent some more time with the Alpha today. First thing I found is there is no off lol. The torque converter never fully disengages. Interesting when you're holding the bars with one hand & pulling the rope with the other! On my DB30 the TQ is all one piece... on a backing plate so the belt tension is set. On this one it's set by moving the engine forward & back. It there a spec for the correct tension? Or just loosen it until it slips?

[video]http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v309/Bikerscum/20141214_140643_zpse8e7m4ng.mp4[/video]

Bikerscum

I met up with the seller again today. More evidence that there were plans in the works at one time.... all NOS...

20141215_172445_zpsgg1l3zyj.jpg

I'm not even sure what these are. The hardened & ground shaft spins in a bearing in the outer threaded mount...

I'm running out of room :doah: