Alsport Tri-Sport SL290/340 Kohler Bonneville Salt Flats!!

So, Made a midlife crisis decision to try and do something crazy. Decided to take the Alsport to Bonneville and race it for the land speed record of 350cc production bike. I currently have the original 290cc on the trike, and a 340 that I am going to start the rebuild process on this fall. You can see the list of trikes we have owned by going to FatSlobVintage on Facebook or Youtube, not new to the world of 3-wheeled American made trikes! Which brings me to why I am here on the Post! I need to hit 130MPH on my 340CC Kohler engine, and with that I am going to need a Dual Carb Intake for the Kohler engine. Anyone have any ideas or leads on where I could find one? Already have the Factory Alsport/Kohler Expansion chambers, and I recently installed the Wilwood brake setup on the trike, And if anyone wants to replace or put brakes on a full frame trike, get a hold of me as the Wilwoods look good, and work to perfection (not like the Kelsey ones!) I'll update this tread as time goes on if people are interested, I've got the trike to 73mph as is with the current 10 tooth sprocket on the jackshaft, so only need to pick up a mere 60MPH in my quest!!! All comments/suggestions are most welcomed!!

Attachments

That is super cool! What is your top speed so far? My running trike is an insanely chopped snowco with a Yamaha mz 360 on it. I believe it only hits 55 which is way too fast for it. The front end is a bit much at speed. Lol!

The Front end on the Street Legals are a Gem at high speed. I had the speedo at 73mph, but I bet I was going 65mph or so. On our Tri ROd with a 340 and 'highway' gearing, the speedo hit aprox 83mph. Again, not sure how accurate the original speedos are, but I was Flying in that thing when we buried the speedo!! I figure I need to make 60hp out of the 340 to hit over 100. I think its possible

Cuda54

You might need a turbo or a bottle maybe both to get there. Any way to add a 2 speed like off a Cushman or a 4speed Harley trans? Those are the only way to the extra 60mph that I can think of. You can fab the intake if needed.

Steve, I've had the fortune to see your blue trike in the flesh! Went out to Illinois a few years back and saw that, and the crates you sent the guy out there. That blue machine was nice! And Cuda, I've thought about nos, and that's not out of the question! Tried figurin out a turbo set up, but just to hard without a valve system for the intake or exhaust on the Kohler engines. Turbo pressure would just blow by. And the intake fab is currently the route I'm taking.

Mr. Gumpit. Found out the scta, which holds the records for bonneville, will not let me compete in the production motorcycle 350cc class. Because I have 3 wheels! Nor can I compete in the car class. Turns out the spirit of America (also had 3 wheels) had the same problem when they set the record at 500+mph back in the 60s. I sent out a message to the east coast timing association, but I am assuming they will say the same thing. Looks like the fia, which I think is based in Europe, is where the spirit of America got to honor their record. Looks like then for the record on a production trike is currently like 129mph. That was set a couple years ago on a 3000cc trike (yes, 3000cc). So, to answer the question, I think the engine has to appear stock from the outside, and the body can have no aerodynamic additions. I can't see anything that would stop me from trying to run a type of gearbox. My goal is to still beat the records of the ecta, and scta for fastest production 350cc motorcycle, even if they won't honor it! I'll have known I've done it, and that would be good enough! Ohio has the flying mile, so I hope to race their on their first meet next year.

Cuda54

For a turbo or super charger you would want the reeds on the air filter end with the carb. They make both and they really work too. You might want to check with some snowmobile builders they could help get the most out of the engine and how to set up the secondary too. I think you might need the 4 speed to the 130+ mph your trying for. And taller tires too!

I took my Ford E150 Econo line Van with the deluxe interior out onto the Salt Flats on the way to the N.A.S.C.A.R races @ Phoenix in November of 1997 and took it up to over 100 MPH and it was fun but then I spent 2 hours at the car wash cleaning all the salt of the bottom of the Van.
My Tri Sport race trike had a stock Kohler 440 engine and was set up with a live axle and used
falcon 13 inch wheels and /gates sand commander tires and it would do right at 100 MPH again with a fat man driving. It ran dual rear shocks and that was on power line roads out in the desert. Good luck with your Quest.

Steve

Steve, Thats Great! By chance to you know what size tire you ran on back? After much thinking, I am going to go ahead and get Ford 13" wheels for the back of the trike, after reading about your sand Racer!!! To race a tri sport out on the desert is 100% a bucket list goal for me!! You had to love it!! right now I am looking a M&H tires, or maybe hoosier tires that are 205/60/13, which are roughly 22.8" tall and 9.5" wide.

Cuda, I think your right, the way to power is in valves!!

When you lived in Los Angeles you had lots of choices of where to ride in pay to play parks in the foot hills and of course the Sand dunes of Pismo Beach and out in the desert there was Dumont Dunes for pure sand type of fun. We had the great El Mirage dry lake bed for wind sailor's and just a great play ground for weekend camping. Out in the open BLM is where the big time races went on like the Barstow to Vegas race I entered two years never finished but still lots of fun and memories. I don't remember what the size of tires I used but they were for off road jeep tires.

Steve

Hey Bink....

I have no knowledge of 'sand or salt racing tires'...their requirements, performance, etcetera....

but that said, I do know about aesthetics...

Definate '70's look with those slotted mags, and with those raised white letter tires, it "looks" bad as heck !...

I like 'em.....:thumbsup:

I hope they perform for you as good as they look !

Last edited:
I like the look and I also don't know about salt racing. I wonder if your trike has made the revised radius rod up grades there is a change on each end of the radius rods. Someone might have a copy of the factory notice. Take a picture of how your radius rods connect under the frame. and is your frame the double rail like they used on the Daytona Phase III ?
Steve

Robert C, thanks! I spent alot of time looking for the right wheels and tires for this thing, I appreciate the compliment!

Steve, I uploaded some pics, I didn't know they had different radius arms!? I've got 4 other arms lying around, and we have like a dozen of the alsport radius arm clamps for the back, I just haven't installed them yet. And yes, it does have the dual tube frame, that's the main reason I decided to keep this one around for the long haul!

wjustice

What diff does it have? You can get 60t sprockets for the peerless. You my need the higher gearing for a speed run. Larger j/s sprockets are readily available. If you calculate using your tire radius and known rpm of the engine, then you can figure a target gearing you'll need. Just adding power won't change the max speed much without increased gearing.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk