Another Vertical to Horizontal Mod

Hey I'm new to the forum but been following it for a while.
I picked up a 3.5HP vertical crank at a market for £3 UK (~$5). Was a little rough but ran.
I am now in the process of converting it to horizontal axle. I'm a little way in now an have been covering it on youtube so take a look and let me know what you think!

Valves
Eyebrows
YouTube - 3.5HP Briggs - Vertical to Horizontal Pt. 1

Ports
Piston
YouTube - 3.5HP Briggs - Vertical to Horizontal Pt. 2

Crankshaft
YouTube - 3.5HP Briggs - Vertical to Horizontal Pt. 3

New parts
fuel tank
YouTube - 3.5HP Briggs - Vertical to Horizontal Pt. 4

Crank Case
YouTube - 3.5HP Briggs - Vertical to Horizontal Pt. 5

The first 2 vids were made using a free website, not really to clear to watch so won't be going back there again

That is very interesting. Make a vid about everything which had to be done to internals and whatnot. There are other threads about vertical to horizontal conversion on this site.

vette66_00

Interesting but don't see anything about making it able to run horizontally. I mean the block needs extra bracing and a oil splashier from a horizontal motor to even attempt to run it. Also concern about the flywheel not balanced to run horizontally. Maybe it will run ok. But these are things I would take care of first.

Hey
I should be getting another vid up tomorrow about the actual horizontal shaft bits

I have made a splasher out of steel plate and tempered it but think it may be a little too wide and just act like too much of a paddle in the oil. I will add pics or the vid so you can see how Iv made it.
I have time to decide as my friend who is supplying the gasket material is away for a few days, so I wont be closing up the crank case just yet

Im cutting off the old spinning splasher as it isnt used now.

Mostly been focusing on the carb manifold which was the biggest pain in the ass to make! also done the exhaust which looks pretty cool

There are another couple of bolt holes on the sides so will use those as well. If I spread the lod on as many bolts as possible it should hopefully be ok.

id advize against using the blower housing mounts as a motor mount. those break off and strip out real easy just holding the shroud on lol
I personally would have left the mounting surface alone and built a bracket like a vintage power products is mounted. I too am concerned about oiling and balance, but an ambitious effort none the less! I am waiting to see the end result, hell it may work! I have pondered the idea of a power transfer transmission setup to pull off mounting one as intended and finding a way to make it work! A twisted belt like an edger going to a jackshaft then out to the sprocket seems to be a logical solution but between work and being a single parent I cannot get all my current projects finished as it is! Good luck Confused1985, I hope you are succesfull!

delray

horizontal engines must be hard to find in the UK? kind of like living out in the desert. no place to find a engine.
what was the extra hole? a pto shaft? if so maybe you could fab a small bicycle generator to it for lights.

goodluck on your project:smile:

Hey

Its REALLY hard to find horizontal engines in the UK. A good 5HP horizonatal briggs goes for ~£50 ($80) on eBay, plus shipping or drive to get it. A little over my buget atm.

the other axle is described by B&S as a "perpendicular auxiliary axle" I think it is to help move the lawnmower forward, so only for the type that have the blades at the front rather than the horizontal blade underneath type.
I have joked about running a supercharger off it but people my laugh at a supercharged 3.5HP engine lol!

Another vid up this afternoon so i will post it for you.

Last edited:
nice work on this . on your oil dipper the splash thing you made , you need to make sure its not so hard that it will snap off .if you want i have some dippers i can take some pics and send them to ya .just pm me with your email address .

looks pretty good. You could run a bicycle generator off the spare pto shaft for lights perhaps. I think the oil dipper should be 90 degrees so that it slices thru the oil and just a tiny hook at the bottom. I think thats how the real ones are. Also maby you can drill and tap a bolt hole for an engine mount into the plug that your going to make for the old fill hole /future drain hole. Im not sure how strong it is around that area but that may be an option. Nice intake manifold that must have been a pain in the butt

delray

kind of cool if you run the carb up front. also keep the gas line away from the exhaust pipe.
cool in two different ways,cool looking and cool with no heat up front. or maybe a steel line under the exhaust pipe for the fuel line.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback!
The manifold was a huge pain, especially as i didnt have a mask so had to weld whilst looking away an hope i was still on target! (seriously kids, do not try this at home) Getting all the little pin hole gaps in it was bad, an then burning a hole through it :hammer:

Looks like a generator is the the way forward. I will look into doing it for an after mod.

Im keeping my eye out for a cast iron flywheel but hoping that I wont need it. I know that its the mover blade thats the real flywheel but this flywheel is lot chunkier and heavier than a lot that I have seen. Also it ran no probs or backfires when it was still vertical.

As for the dipper, I will review the design when metal man emails me, but if its ok i will prob soften it a little so that it deff wont snap.:weld:

Hey,

Just a quick question. Not having a proper horizontal engine myself, how deep is the oil in the crank case at min and max roughly?

Planning on making some sort of dip stick to go in through the old oil drain hole

Just a quick note also on the fuel. Even if its in a metal housing you may run into boiling the fuel. I would run it around the other side.

Also on the tank. You must have the fuel tank above the location of the carb or it will not flow. On your setup it looks like when you get to about 1/3 of a tank you will starve the engine. It also may just be perspective on the video also.